Sorry another quick query...

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Thanks Carolyn, it certainly been a tough year since he was denied a position of attorney through grans own wishes (which is blamed entirely on me of course). It is hard for me given I’m solely dealing with her financial affairs but with the added problems of a difficult family member sometimes makes me wonder why I offered to do it. But then I think of the alternative and what would have become of gran had I not and I am glad she chose me to support her. It’s a difficult path but if I can stand up to this man, even through solicitors, then I have protected my grans wishes. I just wish I could chat to her about it but obviously I can’t given her illness and lack of comprehension so it’s hard sometimes knowing you’re doing the right thing. Thank you so much for your kind words of support, I hope you find this forum as invaluable as I have for advice & support on your journey x
Dear Rubi you do sound better in yourself and I think even despite these hard decisions you are halfway home now. My father made me sole executor, leaving out my brother and sister, who made things very difficult via emotional blackmail. Exactly as you say: I was the one blamed! I was so grateful he left me in charge as I was able to insist on equal distribution and so on. Nevertheless not only have I never been thanked (ha!) but our sibling relationships have been, it seems, permanently affected (five years later). I just kept reminding myself that his trust had been placed in me, and I pass this thought on to you now. All the very best, Carolyn.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi Rubi,

You have said that gran's other son lives abroad. Is this your father? Are you getting any support from other members of the family? Is there anyone who would speak to your uncle as a third party, to explain how things have to work?

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions! In fact, you don't need to answer if you don't want to, it is really just to get you thinking of any way to get support in your difficult situation.

You could try speaking to someone at the Office of the Public Guardian (or equivalent if your system is different), I have heard that they are usually helpful in indicating what kind of expenditure is allowable. This might give you some legal backing for your decisions.

I hope today is less stressful for you! (((hugs)))

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Hi all, thanks for the sound advice. I contacted my solicitor today and they will be in contact with my uncle to advise him that his requests are unreasonable and not within my grans best interests. Fingers crossed

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Hi Rubi,

You have said that gran's other son lives abroad. Is this your father? Are you getting any support from other members of the family? Is there anyone who would speak to your uncle as a third party, to explain how things have to work?

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions! In fact, you don't need to answer if you don't want to, it is really just to get you thinking of any way to get support in your difficult situation.

You could try speaking to someone at the Office of the Public Guardian (or equivalent if your system is different), I have heard that they are usually helpful in indicating what kind of expenditure is allowable. This might give you some legal backing for your decisions.

I hope today is less stressful for you! (((hugs)))
Thank you! Unfortunately all the family now refuse to speak to uncle so I was the last contact he had. I’ve posted an update as I’m going to let my solicitor deal with him, it’s causing too much distress and I need this sorted officially so it doesn’t happen in future! Thank you for your advice!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Wow
Hi all, thanks for the sound advice. I contacted my solicitor today and they will be in contact with my uncle to advise him that his requests are unreasonable and not within my grans best interests. Fingers crossed
Wow! Well done! Brilliant approach and having solicitors do this makes it “neutral” somehow ... I’m not sure how to put it but what I’m trying to say is that it shifts blame off your poor shoulders!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Well done Rubi, legal tactics could well stop him in his tracks. At least you know that rest of family no longer talking to him means that they support you. When is your grandmother due to return home?

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Well done Rubi, legal tactics could well stop him in his tracks. At least you know that rest of family no longer talking to him means that they support you. When is your grandmother due to return home?
Next Sunday he’ll bring her back - we’ll thats the plan at the moment. Until she’s actually here I’ll not believe he’ll bring her back so all not over yet! Just hope if the monies are denied in the future then he will visit her here instead of taking her away. Other family members visit her without expecting her to foot their bill so hopefully he can do the same in future :)

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Wow

Wow! Well done! Brilliant approach and having solicitors do this makes it “neutral” somehow ... I’m not sure how to put it but what I’m trying to say is that it shifts blame off your poor shoulders!
Thanks again, I know exactly what you mean! I’m sure my name is mud with him but given the way he has got on I really don’t care. At least I can sleep soundly at night knowing I’m doing the best for her as opposed to trying to rip her off x

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
This is not an uncommon situation, I had similar issues and there are other threads almost identical to yours. The only solution is to stop paying out. It works like magic.