Soothing anxiety

EdwardM

Dec 23, 2014
My mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for over 3 years now. I live quite a distance away but still visit her and my dad at the family home regularly.

I have noticed that she is increasingly talking under her breath a lot more now expressing how anxious she is and how she doesn't know what it is going on (she only expresses these feelings to herself when she thinks no one else can't hear).

I think part of the problem is that she is increasingly struggling to fill her time. She used to be a keen reader, 'cross-worder' and would regularly be out with friends before it struck and now her world is becoming smaller and smaller.

Therefore I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on what might be good things for her to do that wouldn't be too challenging but could keep her occupied? And if anyone has any advice on generally soothing anxiety for people with Alzheimer's it would be very much appreciated. It is still a very unfamiliar and confusing world for us all at the moment.

Many thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband's main anxiety is that he should be working. All credit to a man of almost 82 who has looked after his family and worked as a carpenter since he was 14. I take him to as many interesting places as I can and discuss as much as I can with him. However we had to go down the medication route to reduce his anxiety as it is overwhelming. A low dose of Trazedone has helped - not perfect but better. I hate the idea of drugs but dementia is bigger than my opinions.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Edward

Welcome To Talking Point.

I think part of the problem is that she is increasingly struggling to fill her time.

It probably is Edward but so much depends on her staying power and ability to concentrate.

My husband was always telling me he was bored and had nothing to do, but every suggestion I made got the answer “ I`ll do it tomorrow.`
It was because he had difficulty organising himself and could only do things when I was doing them with or for him.

Our best pastime was listening to music and watching DVDs of his favourite singer Andrea Bocelli.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH quickly got on the coffee circuit. He just loves coffee and cake/biscuits. So in addition to Alzheimer's society meetings and get togethers with similar friends, we are lucky enough to live in a holiday area with loads of farmshops, cafés, RSPB and NT places all within a few miles. He can't remember them all but loves them all! People know him and cater for his problems.

He doesn't watch TV, read much and can no longer undertake former hobbies. The radio is always on, but he can't turn it on/off. He does like his music! We go to the odd concert when there is something suitable at a suitable time.

Last edited:

LizzyA

Feb 21, 2013
Near Reading
Would a day centre/lunch club work for your mum to give her some more stimulation and company (and give your dad a bit of a break)? Transport can often be arranged if that would be an issue.
My mum also has a volunteer befriender from the Alzheimer's Society who takes her out for tea etc and has been wonderful.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Would a day centre/lunch club work for your mum to give her some more stimulation and company (and give your dad a bit of a break)? Transport can often be arranged if that would be an issue.
My mum also has a volunteer befriender from the Alzheimer's Society who takes her out for tea etc and has been wonderful.

Agree. Day centre, lunch club, AS coffee club, sitting service, Singing for the Brain... All useful tools to get people active and out and about!

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
my mum started knitting squares. i wasn't sure she'd manage but i had hoped she might manage enough to make a blanket. she's now on her 12th blanket ! i dread the day she loses the skill.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN