Songs that have resonance

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Eden just posted that there is a Robbie Williams song about a hole in the soul.

That started me thinking.

Some years ago when Jan was still at home and I was caring for her, I heard on Radio 2 one day a song by Kathy Mattea - a country singer [great one!]. It seemed to be particularly relevant but as she is not well-known in the UK I went on to the Internet to find it.

I didn't really have the title, so I ended up buying the wrong Kathy Mattea album.

But is was fabulous anyway and one of the songs was called "Whole Lotta Holes", and went something like this:

I gotta whole lotta holes in my life
If you stacked them all together
You could fall in them forever

The song is about lost love, but is very upbeat, and you can't help but sing along.

Anyway, eventually I found which album the song I had originally wanted was on and I got that too. Another great CD.

That song was called "Where've you been?" and the gist is the story of the life of a couple, from when they meet to their old age.

Starts off:

I've looked for you forever and a day.
where've you been
I'm just not myself when you're away'"

the last verse is what always starts me off!

goes:

"Bell soon lost her memory
forgot the names of family
she never spoke a word again
then one day they wheeled him in,
he held her hand and stoked her head
in a fragile voice she said...

where've you been?
I've looked for you forever and a day.
where've you been
I'm just not myself when you're away'"

Anyone else looks at me like I'm mad!

Actually Bell wasn't the woman's name, but I can't understand what Kathy sings in her drawl!

Anyone else have songs that have a particular resonance for them in our situation?

Last edited:

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
The song "Time to say goodbye" as these were the words the so called caring professionals all advised/advise me to do with mum. She'll always be my mum no matter what poison invades her brain. She still asks me til this day am I wearing a vest?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Magic - I know it but annoyingly can't remember who sang it. Any thoughts?

belay that, I remember now. It was the Andrea Bocelli song that was turned into a duet by Sarah Brightman.

Fabulous song!

I love and own both versions. [I never did hear her version singing solo]

Last edited:

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
That's the one Braveheart.

Your wee song was really moving. Reminded me of what mum and dad are going through now. He keeps breaking down and holding her. It's awful.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
A favourite of mine is 'I'll Find My Way Home' by Jon and Vangelis.

Can't do it in colour though, sorry, but it starts something like this.

'You ask me where to begin?
Am I so lost in my sin?
You ask me where did I fall?
I say, I can't tell you when...

I've muddled this up a bit because I don't have the CD to hand. It's a very beautiful song though. Does anyone own a copy? It's on The Friends of Mr Cairo CD.

Jude

Last edited by a moderator:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
A couple of others are, of course, Bridge Over Troubled Water, because of the implications of caring by 'sailing right behind' and also the 'Sound of Silence'.

Hello Darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again....

I just feel that my parents are right in that dead spot sometimes and can't tell me how they really feel. The worst thing is to know that often I can't reach them to be there to help.

Jude

Gee

Jun 23, 2004
london
The song I love is 'Be Not Afraid', I told you before that when Mum died I felt helpless because she now had to go somewhere on her own, and I could no longer protect her so, we played it at her funeral just to let her know although I wasn't with her to show the way. God will now help her, and she will be ok.
The words are.
You shall cross the barren desert,
But you shall not die of thirst
You shall wander far in safey
Though you do not know the way
You shall speak your words in foreign lands
And all will understand
You shall see the face of God and live.

Last edited by a moderator: