Sometimes in despair

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Langtry

Despite your weariness, your humour is still strong, keep it up.

You will be in bed as I write this (I am a night bird), hope you have a good rest, and maybe a short lie in this morning, and you can face another day.

Someone else will advise you on loneliness - after 61 years of sharing everything, it is probably going to be different from what you imagined all those years ago. Hopefully you can still share things though - the smell of flowers, a visit from the grandchildren, the cat, though things do change. Your wife is a lucky lady to have you to care for her.

My caring role was for my mother, I never had much of a relationship with her till my dad died and she developed Alzheimers. But she died in November, and I now realise what a considerable change took place in our relationship in that period. I also learnt some surprising things about my mum, how kind she was to other people in the home, how polite to the staff, always enjoying a little giggle. But other things "went" - her love of music and reading disappeared. We have to wait and see.

Of your 5 children you are lucky that 4 are supportive, even if one is physically distant. If your son is married he is probably more in tune with his wife's family, it happens like that even today. Women still seem to have the caring instinct in general, though there are lots of exception to that rule.

My husband and I are both only children, so we dealt first with his dad's heart condition, his mother's 10 years of being housebound and her later fatal stroke, my dad's stomach cancer, and finally my mum's Alzheimers. How I wish we had had siblings to help (though you will read on here that siblings aren't always a help, and sometimes a hindrance!). My own two daughters have been great, one is 30 miles away and visited mum quite often and offered me practical help, the other is 200 miles away but always available on the phone.

You ain't seen nothin' yet in terms of rabbitting!

Love

Margaret

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Langtry,
I'd just like to say how nice it is to read your posts. Despite the horrible situation you find yourself in, the love and support you are giving your wife shines out - and the fact that you can do all that day in, day out and still keep a sense of humour is brilliant. Gives me strength to keep doing my best for my mum.

It sounds like your family will be a good help to you and I hope you enjoyed your day of freedom. Also hope you get some more soon. It is important to have some time for yourself too.
Take care
Gill x

langtry

Feb 23, 2009
Portsmouth
My sincere thanks to all you Angels out there.

In particular here to Margaret and Amber,ta everso,to be totally truthful I do not know myself how the humour still comes out,must be inbuilt or something,and now to continue the saga.
When Molly returned this morning I thought she seemed a little quieter,but did not last long,she was a bit restless and noticably even more forgetful than usual(and that has to be bad).
I sometimes think maybe I may be handling the situation all wrong,because when she is with my daughter at her home she seems to behave differently to when she is here with me,(this is just my own ramblings)right now I ahve just been relieved by another daughter who has come to sit for a while,hence my being on the puter,even though she is still calling out to me ie,how long are you going to be darling? I have already replied to that call about five times in the last ten minutes.
My personal view of things to-day is that I can see more changes in her behaviour,ie, I cant see a thing without my glasses darling have you seen them anywhere and I have to reply,you are still wearing them sweety,(teeth gritting and humour coming through again?) there are so many different little things I am noticing this past few days.Each time I come to the forum I am never quite sure of what I might speak about,but not to worry words do come however foolish sounding they might be.
Someone is calling again,better pop in to see what the problem is? no problem just wants to know where I am,tried to vist the loo earlier but no sooner sat down with comic cuts(tv times) a gentle tapping on the bathroom door,darling.I need a wee, always happens this way,is there no privacy at all?
Molly has as long as I have known her has always been a very private and reserved person and hardly at all forthcoming with affection of any kind,but now,things have changed,she told me this evening that she loved me(unsolicited) so amidst all this trauma maybe I should be grateful for that? Anyhow,who said romance is dead when you get older? (probably some nut ?)
Getting a lot of interuptions at the moment so will try to get back another time,my best to you all and do take care.

langtry