Something wrong with my setup

Pacucho

Something has gone wrong with my set-up over the last couple of days. Each time I looged in to the Forums the new and any updated unread posts would be highlighted in Bold, whereas those I had looked at previously were not in Bold. Now this distinction has gone. I would be grateful for any advice on how to get this back as to how it used to be.
Thanks in advance

Paco

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi - we had a minor update on Friday and for some reason this was changed. We're all hoping that it will be coming back, but in the meanwhile, rest assured it's not you.

In the mean time the envelopes to the left of each thread show if there are any unread posts in a thread (open means there are, closed means there aren't). I don't like it either :D.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
No envelopes here also!
John.
PS Once upon a time if someone made a mess of something people would say "it looks like a kids done that",perhaps if the work had been given to a child it would have been done corectly.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No, I have got envelopes, John. It's just that they are all closed, whether or not I've read the posts.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
John: you don't have these? At all? In any forum nor the new posts screen?

Screen shot 2011-09-19 at 9.16.09 AM.png

Hazel - oh rats. Am I right that you're using IE 9 and windows 7 ?

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Jenniferpa,Nothing thats looks like a envelope,i have the little round things,dont know what they are meant to be! on the other forums here there are some envelopes but not on all threads.
John
Also Jenniferpa if i click on the little round icon it says "go to first new post" which is the latest post! when you can already click onto "latest post"!.

Last edited:

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
In the mean time the envelopes to the left of each thread show if there are any unread posts in a thread (open means there are, closed means there aren't). I don't like it either :D.

I don't understand how the envelopes should be working but they don't appear to be on my Mac. There are lots of grey closed envelope icons and red closed envelope icons that I know for certain I've not read? Sorry if I'm being a thicko :)

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Can you take a screen shot Jancis?

Here is a shot I've just taken after logging off and logging on again.
I've not yet read any of today's new threads. I recall reading Pheath's and Blackcap's threads yesterday. Perhaps the envelopes don't change until they've been revisited from day to day - is that how they're supposed to work?

Or perhaps it's got something to do with subscribing to threads - if I'm notified by email that there has been a reply to a thread does that count as me reading it?

Attachments

• Forum_screenshot.png
    Forum_screenshot.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 318

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if this is something to do with logging off and back on again. Let me think - an open envelope icon indicates that there have been new posts since your last visit, but I'm not certain if that means last visit to that thread or if logging off marks all threads as being "visited".

I'll see what I can find out.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, logging off marks all threads as having been visited. Then when you log back on the only ones that have an open envelope are those that actually have new content since you logged off.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Jennifer -am I being particularly thick here but I thought that only the threads which have posts added since you last visited show up anyway under 'New posts' - which is where I always start. So why the open envelopes, which aren't that easy to see - and i hadn't even realised were open until you pointed it out? :confused:
Also I never log in and out, should I? does this make a difference?

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Since my previous post, I've stayed online and moved around the forums and then come back to this one but the envelope containing this thread is still closed! But the envelope on Pam D's thread is open so there must be a bit of a time delay thing going on. I'll just fade away and ignore it as I can't get my head around a closed and open envelope icon per se. I keep thinking an open envelope means I've openend it and a closed one means I haven't opened it yet:( And the spell check doesn't work as you predicted.

I'll bin my imac and buy a PC :D:D

Attachments

• Forum_screenshot2.png
    Forum_screenshot2.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 326

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You're probably asking the wrong person - I never used the envelope icons either until the bolding went away. :eek: I also never log out (unless I'm on a different computer). I really don't think it matters one way or the other, but if you do (or don't) you do have a different "base line" to others.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

P.S. If you don't log off, New Posts will essentially show all threads updated today, and that's where the envelopes can be helpful: you could look at a thread in the morning and look again later and find that the envelope is now open again and know that there are new posts.

Last edited:

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
You're probably asking the wrong person - I never used the envelope icons either until the bolding went away. :eek: I also never log out (unless I'm on a different computer). I really don't think it matters one way or the other, but if you do (or don't) you do have a different "base line" to others.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I don't log out but I get timed out (?) after about 15 minutes (and I shut down my Mac at night so he get's some rest :D. I must be a bit of a weirdo :)
No need to reply Jennifer, I'm having one of my grrrrumpy days.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
P.S. If you don't log off, New Posts will essentially show all threads updated today, and that's where the envelopes can be helpful: you could look at a thread in the morning and look again later and find that the envelope is now open again and know that there are new posts.

Not in my case, it doesn't! I always use New Posts, but my enveloped remain firmly closed.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No Hazel, I know you don't fall into this category. I've reported your issue. What I said above only applies when the icons are working properly, which they obviously aren't for you.