Something happened overnight

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Hi all would like some help please. My mum has been shadowing for a few weeks now. Couldn't do anything . Mum went to bed last night . When she woke this morning , she just lay there, un resposive, Saying to to everything, head bowed no eye contact , When we go her up she just shuffled , tried to sit her down and it took 1/2 an hour, isn;t really speaking . Don't know what happened to her overnight . Has this happened to anyone else

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm wondering if you got a doctor to check her over. It might have been a TIA (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Transient-ischaemic-attack/Pages/Introduction.aspx). My mum used to have these - sort of mini strokes. Sometimes she had them in her sleep and she wasn't right for ages after them. It might be as well to get her checked out with the GP on Monday unless you are worried about her just now. If you're worried then I would go for the out of hours service.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
There's been a sharp change in your Mum's behaviour and it isn't like anything you've seen before?

Even if you only fear your Mum's problems may be due to a sudden dip in her physical condition, then I think you need to get the duty GP out ASAP. She might have an infection and need antibiotics ... the sooner she gets them the better.

What kind of dementia does your Mum suffer from? If it's vascular dementia (or mixed dementia that includes vascular dementia), then may your Mum's suffered a mini stroke (Transient Ischaemic Attack). As she's not snapping out of it and this is the first time you've been aware of the problem, I think it would be best to have her GP visit.

Oh - have just spotted izzy's offering the same advice!

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Sounds like the TIAs mum has, sometimes passing quickly and other times leaving mum very weak and disorientated for some weeks. If diagnosis is vascular dementia your mum has probably had these episodes unnoticed and minor before. blood thinning medication and statins are usually prescribed as a preventative measure.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
My mum gets like this with a urine infection, and it happens literally overnight, even from one minute to the next, including her collapsing on the floor from the chair. She has so far regained her former status once she has had hefty doses of antibiotics. But that said, it is not possible for us to say what is actually wrong with your mum, she needs the doctor, don't delay, call 111 if you need to.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
And I warn you. If she goes to A&E, be prepared for a long wait. The blood tests can take up to six hours for results! Take all you think you might need. I've been through this twice in the last 2 weeks!
However, it does sound very much like a TIA or urine infection.

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Hi

Many thanks for the advice. They say mum has gradual Alzheimers, . Her doctor suspected about 6 weeks ago she is having mini strokes,. She is have a brain scan Tomorrow. Even if her brain has shrunk , there is nothing that can be done .
Thank you for listening .

wimwam100

Dec 30, 2011
Mum had brain scan

Hi all
Update on Mum. The doc came today , said mums brain is furring up,and now moderate Alzheimers. She is having TIA's which they can do nothing about , so soldier on we must . She also has bronchitus and a UTI ,

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I know others have posted that with infections, there can be a sudden change in behaviour. I hope that your mum gets the medications she needs to treat the bronchitis and the UTI and perhaps you will see an improvement as those clear up. Let us know.