Something for the Men

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Last year I heard about the movement Men in Sheds which was originally an Australian idea. Today we did a bike ride and came across a spring type fayre and there I met some of the men from Men in Sheds:) I asked permission to post their photos on TP and they gave the ok. I asked them loads of questions and told them about carers for people with dementia. They make wonderful things with wood. You don't need any particular past experience. I asked each man how long they'd been involved and it varied from a few years to 9 months. I asked each whether it had changed their life and each said "yes it certainly had". They were selling their goods. They had a carer bring someone each week who has Alzheimers disease and he is able to paint some of the things but not use any machinery. There are all levels of involvement. I asked about the cost and they said there is no cost even though their funding is going to be severely cut:eek: They said they might have to charge £1 per session sometime in the foreseeable future. He said they charge 50p for drinks but that 50p is for as many drinks as one would want. The men said they were lonely before but had found friends and a worth to their lives. I asked whether I would be allowed to come and see their actual shed (me being a woman) and they said yes as long as I made them all a cuppa:D Here are some photos. It is definitely food for thought for people who are no longer caring and need to find a life again or for men at the early stages of a dementia who might find a sense of self worth through being involved in creating something. men in sheds 2.jpgMen in sheds 1.jpgmen in sheds 3.jpgmen in sheds 4.jpg

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
What a fabulous idea, the things they make look really nice. Its a great idea for the men to gather in a safe place and put their hands and to an extent head to work and create something that maybe a relative could have as a keepsake. Brilliant idea, thanks for sharing it with us.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Men in Sheds is spreading nationally so google to see if there is one in your area.
Pauline I do hope there is one for Jack.

Love

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank You Helen A Lovely Idea !

Hello Helen , What a lovely idea ! & as you might "recall " my Dad used to do "Wood Work " as a "Hobby " & this is a "wonderful idea " for the Men to do & make new friends :) etc

Thank you for the Photo's Helen & sharing this with us !

Hope you had a enjoyable Bike Ride :)

Love Grove x x