some what confused!!!!!

unicorn

Jun 22, 2007
nottingham, uk
about a week ago clive became continent again!! sleeping in bed longer now having 6 hours instead of 3, he was quite distant, now very loving! not sure what is happening, but he has stated feeling very panicky all the time , some times worse than others, he likes to just sit in car says he feels better in there, its not that things are worse in loads of ways they are better, just cant understand the changes can anyone help.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Unicorn

Sadly this illness is like shifting sand, just when you think things have settled, its all change again.

It could be that Clive feels secure in a small area, or just that his car is something familiar that he is used to.

Enjoy the additional rest if you can, I know these changes are unnerving, but enjoy it when its good. No two people are the same, as the saying goes, seen one person with Alzheimer’s, and you have seen one person with Alzheimer’s.

Take it day by day, thats my motto, I also try not to look for reasons for changes, it was driving me crazy, so I simply accept things for what they are today, and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Love

Cate

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It is a mysterious and confusing illness!! Things change day by day and it is hard to understand

The only thoughts I have are
1. Is your husband on medication and if so, for how long? When David went onto Aricept I think it took about 3 mths before I noticed a change - even then it was only slight. So any medication may have 'kicked' into action.

2. Has your husband been diagnosed with Alz. or Vasc.Dementia or something else? Each one has can have a slightly different pattern - eg. with Vasc. they say changes in steps (so in between maybe slightly better). In Alz. the decline is supposed to be more steady. Even so each person is different. My husband certainly has good phases and bad ones. He was incontinent, now he is not (only minor accidents because of mobility). Some days he is in a dark depressed state and others he seems to pull himself out of the 'pit'.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful, but as Cate says, take advantage of the good days. Good luck Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Unicorn,

I don`t think any of us understand the changes when they come, we just have to accept them.

If the changes to Clive make your life a fraction easier than it was before, grab them with both hands and make the most of them. Who knows how long they will last and what the next changes will bring.

If changes occur that cause you to worry, don`t hesitate in contacting your GP or consultant.

Love xx

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
As many of you know, I've worked quite a lot with disturbed children. It is not uncommon for them to get into cupboards, even put themselves onto a bookshelf :eek: (if they can fit!), or squeeze themselves into a very small space (behind a door, etc.). It seems to have something to do with a feeling of security or of "containing" their emotions ??? :confused:

I'm wondering if the car gives the same sense of comfort to your husband??

As others have said, this is a strange and mystifying disease. I'm pleased though to read that you are currently in a "good" phase (if anything about dementia can be good!).