Some positives....

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
After my miserable post about not having my flu jab yesterday I felt a bit guilty as I usually try and be a positive person. so I thought I would share these few thinsg with you.

Over the last few month the day centre my Mum attends has had a poetic and photographer working with them. They have interviewed all the clients then goneaway and the poet has made poems form the information in the interviews. these were illustrated with very good photos of the writers in a variety of moods, and complied into a book called "Just Orchid". There was even a proper "book launch" and reception for the writers and thier carers, and it was a warm and emotional time. Mum is quite chuffed to have her "works" published at the grand old age of 77. Many of the poems spoke of the hardship or war, separation, rationing etc, and love, so much love!
I know all the clients and their families got a tremendous boost from it, and we have a copy of the book as an heirloom too!
We have also discovered one thing Mum really still loves to do is jigsaws. Well I popped inot our local charity shop today and found one really beuatiful one of 15 little puppies in cups. The good thing is each puppy is in it's own subframe, so it should be reasonably easy to sort out. I also found a collection of 10 puzzles in a compendium. 5x500, 3x750 and 2 x1000. I doubt if we will mange the 1,000 piece ones though lol. They only wanted £5 for the lot so I reckon we will be pretty busy for the next few weeks. Mum has asked if we can take one on holiday as we are off to Perranporth next week. I think it will be a great idea as it will distract her form the strangeness of the caravan a bit.
The other odd thing was last night she talked for over 30 mins about my brother using his correct name, refernces to his wife and children, his job etc as if nothing was wrong at all. Yet for the last 2.5 years she has usually not even been able to remember his name - tis a very odd thing isn;t it?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Day center sounds really good , in getting in a poetic and photographer to work with them .

The other odd thing was last night she talked for over 30 mins about my brother using his correct name, refernces to his wife and children, his job etc as if nothing was wrong at all. Yet for the last 2.5 years she has usually not even been able to remember his name - tis a very odd thing isn;t it?

Does seem odd when they happen , as with my mother 5 half years into her AZ and mum can have moments like that . they call it something on TP , but can't remember the name .... found it lucidity moments

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bristolbelle, thanks for the positive post. John used to love doing jigsaws too, right up to last year, when he lost the ability.

I hope you have a lovely holiday, you deserve it.

Love,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Mum is quite chuffed to have her "works" published at the grand old age of 77.
Hi Bristolbelle, I also think this is a wonderful thing, what lovely memories you'll have to keep. I hope that you all have a great holiday. Regards Taffy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet