Some input for someone who just got into this

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
It really is a stupid thing, but I have a flower from my grandma. She gave it to me when I moved to my home. Since that thing happened, the flower is dying. No matter what I am doing to it, trying to save it, no use.

Talk about connections.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Oh @JohnGroban , that's not a stupid thing. I hate to see plants dying. Do you know what sort is it? Might it be just the time of year? They are often tougher than they look, like so many of us.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Yeah, my OH knows, we both are making super efforts to save it, no success so far. It looks some kind of Lily.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Came back from the CT.

The good news: there are no signs of a stroke, or anything similar to it. It did not affect her mind.

The bad news: the doctor confirmed the original diagnostic, it looks like dementia. the CT shows that.

There might be small signs of vascular accidents in the past, small ones., but impossible to tell because grandma didn't go to doctors to look into previous tests.

She said it looks like the psychiatrist said, she had a "sleeping dementia" that woke up when this happened.

Nice doc, we chat a bit, told me about her grandma who was the same.
I don't know how I feel. I somewhat wanted to be a stroke to explain all of this, but the idea that her obsession with the cast did this is quite ... sad.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its often overwhelming when you get actual confirmation of the diagnosis. There is no room for doubt, or hope, anymore and you have to come to terms with realising - this is actually it. Nothing will have changed for your grandmother, though, and you will still have lots of good visits,
((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Sorry @JohnGroban . Not what you wanted to hear but it does explain things and you know what you are dealing with, although it varies a lot from person to person. Your grandma won't know though and she is being well looked after. Keep posting about anything you're worried about or just to tell us how things are going. We'll all be here to give you support and advice along the way.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Thank you.

Well, I am just curious what are my expectations towards her. Will this become worse? Is there a specific decline or sign(s) that shows the end is near?

I really don't know what to expect as, and correct me if I am wrong, but dementia starting at 95 is not that common.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Actually, dementia starting at 95 is very common in people who have lived that long. Dementia becomes increasingly likely the older someone is.

Yes, Im afraid that the dementia will indeed become worse, because dementia is a progressive neurological condition and (so far) there is no cure, or even a way to halt the progression. There is no knowing how quickly that progression will happen, though, and she may be relatively stable for a while. Also, at that age, your grandmother may die of something totally unrelated to dementia.

Treasure the time you have with her. Take each day as it comes
xx

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Thanks, Canary.
I did not know that, I was thinking it's somewhat specific to younger people.

By worse, I mean, will she suffer?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It depends what you mean by suffer.
I think mum herself suffered most at about the time I suddenly realised that she had dementia. She realised that something was wrong, but could not work out what and her confabulations (false memories) were all about people doing terrible things to her. She was scared and anxious, but fought everything tooth and nail - she would not see her doctor, or have carers in, allow anything that might have assisted her and half the time she wouldnt even let me in her home as she was sure I was stealing from her. It was an unspeakably awful time for both of us.

Once she moved into her care home, though, her paranoia disappeared and her old personality returned (although not her memory, obviously) and she became fun to be around, I got to know the staff and other residents and I would join in the activities or take mum out of the care home for little trips for coffee and cake, to go shopping, the local village fete, garden centres or pushed her wheelchair along by the sea, the harbour, or the park. Physically, she declined a lot during this time, but she was in her own little bubble and I really dont think that she was aware of her own decline. Even her last year, which was a bit of a roller coaster for me, did not seem to affect her. She very quickly forgot that she had been ill or had been in hospital. She was happy and content right up to the time she passed away.

Obviously, this is my mums story and your grandmother might not be the same, but it is likely that your grandmothers perception of her situation will not be the same as yours.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Thanks.
We are at the second part, care home. Sadly, as much as I want, even with nurses, I will not take her home so I will go and make her feel she is not alone.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
I need to write and share this with you.

What happened really shook the core of my faith. I am not a religious person, I never was in my adult life, I am very close to a deist, but I believed in God and loved him because he was always good to us.

But this really, I can't understand why, why her. Why a wonderful person like her will have this end. it's not fair.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I need to write and share this with you.

What happened really shook the core of my faith. I am not a religious person, I never was in my adult life, I am very close to a deist, but I believed in God and loved him because he was always good to us.

But this really, I can't understand why, why her. Why a wonderful person like her will have this end. it's not fair.
My answer to that question is always “Why not her?” Horrid things happen to people of all sorts, kind, mean, friendly, helpful or selfish. Many people died at much younger age than your Grandmother, she’s had a good long life, why not be thankful for the good things you have shared rather than rail at what is, sadly happening now.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
My answer to that question is always “Why not her?” Horrid things happen to people of all sorts, kind, mean, friendly, helpful or selfish. Many people died at much younger age than your Grandmother, she’s had a good long life, why not be thankful for the good things you have shared rather than rail at what is, sadly happening now.

She lived a good life, but she had her share of pain. Deported by the nazis, 40 years of terror called communism, lost a child at birth, her mom had dementia, lost a lot of land.

I agree that her last 30 years were good because she felt the love of all over, many think that she lived this long is because of me, because the love she had for me and wouldn't let go, even if, one by one, her friends and neighbours died.

I am thankful, I really am because I had her so long, but I just wanted for her to go in her bed, without this happening to her.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
To be honest, I wish that for my mum too. For her to go peacefully in her sleep. I think, as @canary says, we all wish the same for our loved ones - and for ourselves. I remember feeling sorry for a friend of mine when her father suddenly dropped dead in the kitchen whilst having a cup of tea after doing some gardening. It sounds a really good end to me now.

Make the most of your grandma's happy days and hold on to them.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Actually, I just came back from a visit and was one of those good days indeed.
We just saw each other from the window but she was soooo, so happy to see me and my OH. She had tears in her eyes of joy.
My OH is making a heart shape sticker message every time we go to see her.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That's a lovely idea. I'm glad your grandma was so happy to see you. As you say, a good day indeed!

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
We decided that Mondays and Saturdays are going to be visit days. For the moment we are not allowed more than that.
Mondays will be difficult because mum will join.