Some input for someone who just got into this

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Just came back after I visit her.
It was better than I expected.

He recognized me from the moment I walked in. We spoke for about 15 minutes or so. She looks good physically
But sadly, there are things that show she is in a different timeline.
- she spoke about the mother of my mum's cousin who died even before I was born
- she asked me not to get tricked by those two who are saying they are my mom and dad
- asked me for some money to bribe the doctors and nurses because they are so good with her.

The good parts:
- she knows she is in a hospital
- she knew me all our talk
- she knows what is going on, like the pandemic, etc.

I will avoid for the moment for my mom and dad to visit her as we have no idea how she will react. Tomorrow I will go again as they will collect blood and urine samples from a private company I hired.
Now with the CT, I am super worried as the COVID numbers are going through the roof and in order to do that we need to go to a hospital.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That sounds very encouraging @JohnGroban . I was wondering how it went. I would class that as a good visit! I hope tomorrow goes well too. I'd be inclined to avoid the CT for now but that's your decision to make of course. I'm concerned that it will be really stressful for you and your grandmother and possibly risky in the current situation.

Well done today. Give yourself a pat on the back and a bit of a treat. Visiting is not easy.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
I don't know as I expect the numbers to go really up the following period of time.
I will see how it goes tomorrow.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
A small update, mum called the care to finally speak with her and grandma wasn't that happy to talk to mum. She still has this illusion mum is not mum, like that night.

This is what breaks my heart into a million pieces. You can't imagine how much mum loves her, she always took care of her. She cooked for her, visit her, paid her bills, called 3 times per day, all a daughter can do for her mother.
The sadness in mum's voice is something that is really hard to accept.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Sorry @JohnGroban , there are so many heartbreaking times with dementia. Lots of tiny darts that get through even the toughest armour. Maybe next time your mum calls it will be different.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Thank you all, It really means a lot.

I have to thank the elderly home, to be honest.
They insisted that on Tuesday, when grandma will have her 95th birthday, my parents should be present.

I was a bit reluctant, but they insisted and brought some joy to mum. A small one, but still.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
So the results for the blood and urine are in and they look ... decent. I asked another friend doctor to take a look, as the family doctor has a day off today and the home care doctor is not yet allowed to work with grandma until the transfer is over.

They are good for her age, a small anemia as she indeed didn't eat that much

There is small internal bleeding, but quite a small one, might be gastritis. So no infection.
I asked for another friend's opinion, but he is on the front line operating these days, so when he will have a small window he will take a look.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Phew.
Just got back home after we went to the center.

The moment we stepped in, her face became all smiles. Saw mum and said to the nurses: This is my daughter!
I swear I almost cried with happiness.

Overall it was good, 90% of her usual self before the whole thing happened. Her only , let say issue, was she told mum that "those people" can live in her apartment., they can keep it as she is happy where she is now. Mum explained, she semi-understood, then we ate cake with the staff and other elder people from there.

So the first step was good, tomorrow the second one, the CT test. Wish me good luck, fellas, I will need it as I am super stressed due to covid.

I am beyond happy that she knew mum. As mum was trembling outside then, shaking all over of joy, but also stress.
I will come back tomorrow and see how will I solve it, but put a good word for me if you have the chance :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so pleased that the visit went well - that she recognised your mum and was pleased to see her. Its also good that she says that she is happy where she is now. If she says again about her apartment, its best not to correct her, just let it pass by.

I hope the CT scan appointment goes well. It would be good to get a proper diagnosis.
xx

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Well @JohnGroban , that sounds an excellent visit. So pleased for you and your mum - and for your grandma! Really good to hear that she is happy. In the end, that's all that really matters.

Good luck with the scan. Let us now how it goes.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Just came back from the CT scan.

Everything went smoothly. Not that many people, so that was good, managed to solve everything, so that was good.

Grandma looked really good, man, her usual self. She was 100 % lucid, knew her name, knew how old she was, knew me and my OH. Her usual, asked me to bribe the doctors and nurses because they were good with her.
Then I went to the home care back with her, I was in the ambulance and we spoke like usual. Asked me about work, how are things, then wanted me to call mum. So we called mum and she spoke with mum and dad and asked mum to buy her some underwear next time she visits. Like usual.

Then when we arrived she joked with the nurses from the care.
I swear, man, I know this will advance somehow, but I am soooo happy she is happy, calm, and knows my parents and my OH. I couldn't asked for more. Her treatment is good.

I will receive the results in 2-3 days (hopefully by Friday), then I have to book an appointment with a doctor to see the results (because I need another opinion just to be sure) and let's see where we go from here.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
It was, it really was.
I am just glad the medicine is working and the staff from the center seem to start to see her how we see her and care about her.

And most of all my parents are finally calm.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
There is something that keeps on popping into my head.
After we put the cast, a day before everything happened, grandma's thumb became really bruised, almost black
After she was taken to the care, the nurses there cut a small part of the cast and her finger started healing and yesterday it looked completely healed.

Could that cast affect the blood circulation to the brain and cause all of this? Or that is not possible?

Probably by the end of the next week, I will have the results and Interpretation of the CT, but until then I have to wait.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Could that cast affect the blood circulation to the brain and cause all of this? Or that is not possible?
No, thats really not going to make enough difference. You have to have a lot of blood restriction to the brain over a long period of time - usually restricted blood in the blood vessels going up the neck to the brain, or in the very small blood vessels in the brain itself. A bad bruise on a thumb for a couple of days is neither here nor there.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
No, thats really not going to make enough difference. You have to have a lot of blood restriction to the brain over a long period of time - usually restricted blood in the blood vessels going up the neck to the brain, or in the very small blood vessels in the brain itself. A bad bruise on a thumb for a couple of days is neither here nor there.

Thanks, Canary.
I was thinking the cast was so tight it did something to the blood circulation, hence the bruised thumb.