• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Some input for someone who just got into this

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Grandma had a terrible fit last night, similar to the one it happened last year when it all started. They calmed her down and now she is sleeping. We are waiting for her to wake up to see how she is.

My question is, in dementia, is it possible that bad weather or changing the hour (we are going into the winter hour in two weeks) can affect someone? We had non stop rain for 4 days in row. It feels very similar to when it started, like a pattern.
It looks like last night it was sundowning again, something she didn't have for close to 9 months. Sure, might be that it is progressing, but I am curious because it feels very similar.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm not sure it's very scientific but a lot of people have said their PWD doesn't do so well with the darker nights, bad weather and even the hour changing. (Though many have lost their sense of night and day so I find that hard to comprehend.)

I'm no better! I struggle at this time of year - what my mother used to call 'the back end of the year'. Historically, most of the major changes in my life have happened October/November. Probably coincidence but I'm definitely unsettled right now. Fortunately for me it's just Oct/Nov and not the whole winter - some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and use special lamps they say make them feel better...

With your grandma though, it's likely to be progression of her dementia. The fact she's had another seizure might indicate things are moving on.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Thank you @Jaded'n'faded

She is better now. She said she had a "trauma" last night. Interesting you mentioned about changes, she is born in November, but no idea if it's connected in any way.
Hope tonight will be better.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I do think the light and weather affects mood @JohnGroban although I am not sure it would cause such a drastic and sudden change in your grandma. I hope she has settled. There can be so many reasons for agitation (and, of course, it is always worth checking for the dreaded urine infection if a sudden change in behaviour occurs)

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
I do think the light and weather affects mood @JohnGroban although I am not sure it would cause such a drastic and sudden change in your grandma. I hope she has settled. There can be so many reasons for agitation (and, of course, it is always worth checking for the dreaded urine infection if a sudden change in behaviour occurs)

Yesterday she was ok all day long, has no memory of what happened.
Today we had a mini heart attack. At 9 mums phone is ringing from the center, we were certain something had happened, but instead it was the head nurse with grandma, grandma wanted to talk to mum.
She said to mum to bring her a pie on tuesday and said she wasn't feeling that good the past few days, but she is ok now.

Moments like this make you accept that as hard as it is, she is faaaar better in a decent home care like this is than at home.