Some input for someone who just got into this

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
He must have been very proud of you. It can be tricky, when someone has been so Ill, to remember how they were before that but I hope you have lots of happy memories of him. It sounds like a life well lived.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
So sorry to hear about your Dad, John. I understand your frustration at not getting to the bottom of his ailments, but it does seem as if he was simply unable to overcome them. Thinking of you and your family at this awful time.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So sorry to hear about your dad @JohnGroban. The fact that he had a friend who made the effort to attend the funeral despite his own difficulties speaks volumes about what a special person your dad was.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
If you are likely to be tearful and she notices you will need to be prepared with a reason. I suggest some thing like I am pleased you are somewhere so nice/ the staff are so caring/the food looks wonderful/you've found a new friend.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
If you are likely to be tearful and she notices you will need to be prepared with a reason. I suggest some thing like I am pleased you are somewhere so nice/ the staff are so caring/the food looks wonderful/you've found a new friend.

I was thinking at that, to be honest.
I've spoken with mum and we decided not to tell grandma about what happened to dad. There is no reason for her to know that, will not help her at all and most likely she will not understand it.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I agree @JohnGroban. My brother became seriously ill at about the time my mum went into a care home. At the time she was still quite together in some ways, and wondered why he didn't visit. Rather than saying he was in hospital, I said he'd gone on a world tour (he's a musician). I couldn't see any point in upsetting her with something she could do nothing about.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I've been away from here, but after all that happened, I needed a break from everything.

I need your help with some input. Grandma's still alive and had a lovely year, her dementia somewhat reached a status quo and she was about 80% normal.
But two weeks ago things changed. Her roommate from the care home died (everyone kept it hidden, but we think she found out), the woman she's been together since day one there. First grandma got a nasty flu, then, last Thursday, she collapsed near her bed.
Nothing is broken, but she can't stay on her fit anymore and sadly her mind really went all over the place. She knows us, but speaks without any sense.

There is a pattern. When this started two and a half years ago, she slipped in her home and broke her hand then dementia appeared on her. Now she slips and this happens.
I've learn a lot about dementia since I embarked in this journey because of you, but I am trying to learn if dementia made her trip? Did she have a stroke? The shock of the death of her roommate?

Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am trying to learn if dementia made her trip? Did she have a stroke? The shock of the death of her roommate?

It could be any or all of those @JohnGroban - it could also be as a result of the flu, and the decline could be as a result of the infection, pain or shock from the fall, or grief from her friends death. With dementia it is often impossible to pin-point the cause.

Im sorry your mums friend has died, she will be feeling lost now

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Hi everyone.
Does low saturation has anything to do with dementia?

Sadly, grandma is worst with each day. She doesn't recognize anyone from the care home anymore and last night, for the first time ever, she needed oxygen because her saturation was really low.
Her health really degraded, we are at the point where she barely eats, stays in bed all day and it's more disconnected.

I think her time is coming soon.

JohnGroban

Oct 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

This morning finally I've got the call. I will bury my grandmother on Wednesdays.

I just want to give everyone here a huge hug and say THANK YOU. You were my support, you guys taught me how to handle this, to cope with the pain and ultimately learned from you how to handle all of this.
It was an emotional rollercoaster, but It would have been even worse without you.

I wish you all the best, to your loved ones. You are wonderful people and you will always have a place in my heart.
Thank you,
Madalin.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to hear that Madalin @JohnGroban

I think I must have missed your post saying that she was deteriorating
(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
So sorry to hear this news, @JohnGroban . You’ve been through a tumultuous few years, what with your gran and your late dad‘s ill health. So glad if you've found this forum helpful and supportive. Take time to grieve, knowing your feisty gran lived a very long and good life, mostly on her terms!
Best wishes to you and the rest of your family in the future.
Take care,
Chris x