Some days aren't so bad

Benjamin

Jun 7, 2013
Leeds
My OH has Alzheimer's and, whilst his behaviour for the most part is not too difficult, he feels most secure an calm when I am near to him. Consequently I get very little time to myself and recently have found it difficult to pursue my hobby of patchwork/quilting. If I switch the sewing machine on and sit down to sew, he constantly interrupts me, so that I cannot concentrate and make too many mistakes to make it worthwhile to continue.

However, this weekend I can only say thank heavens for the Rugby! He watched 3 matches yesterday and 2 matches today, he's eaten well, not complained about anything and I have, apart from a little hand sewing, completed a quilt that has been waiting for months to be finished.

I know it won't last, but I am grateful for this little respite which has enabled me to do something for myself for a change.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Perhaps record some rugby to replay back, some DVDs of games ...

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You can also get classic rugby matches on dvd from BBC shop, When my mum took a fancy to one or two films, I played them over and over, it gave me some freedom from the 'shadowing'. Lost count how many times she watched The Dirty Dozen and Battle of Britain.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Don't forget, also, that if you have access to YouTube, there are tons of videos on there, too. Films; sport; music; just search for whatever you fancy and pop it on. Loads of amazing documentaries of all kinds as well.

Benjamin

Jun 7, 2013
Leeds
Don't forget, also, that if you have access to YouTube, there are tons of videos on there, too. Films; sport; music; just search for whatever you fancy and pop it on. Loads of amazing documentaries of all kinds as well.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm going to have a trawl through to find him something interesting to watch.

I knew that the benefits of the rugby wouldn't last, today has been pretty rough so far. Hey ho, there's always a price to pay for the little pleasures we get.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Benjamin

My OH has Alzheimer's and, whilst his behaviour for the most part is not too difficult, he feels most secure an calm when I am near to him. Consequently I get very little time to myself and recently have found it difficult to pursue my hobby of patchwork/quilting. If I switch the sewing machine on and sit down to sew, he constantly interrupts me, so that I cannot concentrate and make too many mistakes to make it worthwhile to continue.

However, this weekend I can only say thank heavens for the Rugby! He watched 3 matches yesterday and 2 matches today, he's eaten well, not complained about anything and I have, apart from a little hand sewing, completed a quilt that has been waiting for months to be finished.

I know it won't last, but I am grateful for this little respite which has enabled me to do something for myself for a change.
Well done to you for finishing a quilt and having a reasonably happy weekend. The thing I find with my husband is that ,what he does changes. We have loads of pebbles in his wardrobe plus tools from the workshed which was his pride and joy. Books that he wants to read but hasn't read a book in at least 3 years. Collections of magazines and the kind of mini catalogues that come in the post. These are shuffled and stacked and rearranged several times a day. Post hidden in all sorts of places. Photographs disappearing and then reappearing. Any of my clothes not put away disappear ,some to be found in the garage others in his wardrobe. Tea towels in the fridge. The latest thing is the toothpaste going walkies everyday. Usually found in his pocket.Also a total obsession with a photo of his mum and dad and him as a baby aged about 9 months. Frame is now broken and picture often missing. Going to get a new frame when next going out. I could go on but probably already bored you all. As he starts a new "hobby" usually one of the other gets forgotton. Oh and when I vacuum he is right behind me all the time. Drives me mad.x

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Pebbles

Well done to you for finishing a quilt and having a reasonably happy weekend. The thing I find with my husband is that ,what he does changes. We have loads of pebbles in his wardrobe plus tools from the workshed which was his pride and joy. Books that he wants to read but hasn't read a book in at least 3 years. Collections of magazines and the kind of mini catalogues that come in the post. These are shuffled and stacked and rearranged several times a day. Post hidden in all sorts of places. Photographs disappearing and then reappearing. Any of my clothes not put away disappear ,some to be found in the garage others in his wardrobe. Tea towels in the fridge. The latest thing is the toothpaste going walkies everyday. Usually found in his pocket.Also a total obsession with a photo of his mum and dad and him as a baby aged about 9 months. Frame is now broken and picture often missing. Going to get a new frame when next going out. I could go on but probably already bored you all. As he starts a new "hobby" usually one of the other gets forgotton. Oh and when I vacuum he is right behind me all the time. Drives me mad.x

I was interested to see you mentioned pebbles. My OH started to collect them a few months back. I hadn't connected that to AD just thought it was odd that he was picking them up and telling me how lovely they are when to me they are just an uninteresting brown. I shall have to be more interested.