some advice

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
I'm sorry I usually only post on here when I need help, I never seem to be able to help anybody else.

You may remember I had asked previously about PEG feeding. Mum is now managing to swallow little bits and the SALT team are pleased with her progress. She is now managing porridge in the morning and fortecreme and soup throughout the day.

The problem now is the consultant has requested a meeting with myself and Dad and as far as we have learnt from the nursing staff this is about moving her out to a nursing home.

She is still presently on a drip and as I said still only taking small amounts of food although the SALT team are hoping this will improve.

Can we say no she's not fit to move at this stage. What's our position?

I know the woman in the next bed to her has been there for 9 months now and they have been trying to get her out but haven't managed it yet. The consultant told her today that she was going to the Sheriff Court to have her moved. If I have to do this I will since it'll take ages for that to happen.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Taylorcat, I think you need to get your social worker involved on this one. The consultant tried this with John before he had been in a week. I rang our SW and told him, he said 'Oh no they're not!' and rang the ward straight away.

It's all to do with funding. As long as your mum is in hospital, or even a rehab unit, it comes out of NHS funds. Once she moves into a NH, it passes the buck to SS, and LA funding. As long as your mum is on a drip and needing medical care, your SW should fight your case for you.

That being said, John still has the infection, but I've agreed to transfer him to NH. I think he'll be happier in his own room, and the staff ratio is actually better than the hospital, so they may have more time to spend on getting him mobile again. I hope so, anyway.

Good luck,

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Thanks so much, Hazel. Having spoken to the consultant today. She said that Mum now needs medical attention as well as care and they were thinking of moving her to an NH unit within the same building.

I don't really understand it all and why she can't just stay where she is but the place on the 4th floor is very nice and the staff have more time.

Thanks again.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Taylorcat, that sounds ideal, if as you say the place they want to move your mum to is nice. If you think it's suitable, I'd go for it.

Good luck,