Some advice please

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hi, I don't post much and support even less but here I am asking for help, sorry.
Mum had cold/ bad cough last week, at weekend temperature was up so called out of hours doc. He came checked her jobs, prescribed antibiotics.
Mum had been complaining of left knee hurting and also right hand, she has arthritis and knuckles on left hand swollen.
Monday morning woke her, she wanted to go to toilet was unsteady on leg and rash had appeared on hand and wrist. Got her on commode, cleaned her helped her stand, supported her back while she tried pulling pants up. She went stiff, got her sat down and she had a seizure.
Ambulance came, she was admitted had loads of tests oxygen and blood levels very low.
Saw her yesterday she was bright, chirpy happy and laughing a joy to see. OT came got her to walk about she was okay. They left saying mum probably be discharged today. 10 minutes after they went her left leg started hurting her she wanted to get back on bed, her left knee was hit to touch and painful I got her back on to the bed which was a struggle as she could not move her leg and her right wrist still swollen (they think this is sudo grout ?). Her whole demeanour changed, her conversation was less clear she was really low. I told the nurse who relayed message to docs.

I want her home but am worried that with this left leg problem she will become bedridden, unhappy and I will struggle to care for her. I am also really worried and scared if she has another seizure.

I don't know what to do.

Sorry for long post but has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks Jo x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jo

If you are worried about the responsibility and your ability to care for your mother then it looks as if the decision is being made for you.

Common sense tells us the nature of the illness means your mother is the best she will be at this point. If you are worried you won`t be able to meet her needs now, it is unlikely you will be able to meet them in the future as her condition deteriorates.

If you decide on residential care you will be able to enjoy visits while others are taking the main responsibility and life will be easier for you.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
If you are worried about the responsibility and your ability to care for your mother then it looks as if the decision is being made for you.

Common sense tells us the nature of the illness means your mother is the best she will be at this point. If you are worried you won`t be able to meet her needs now, it is unlikely you will be able to meet them in the future as her condition deteriorates.

If you decide on residential care you will be able to enjoy visits while others are taking the main responsibility and life will be easier for you.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am not worried about the responsibility of caring for mum or my ability to do so. I wonder if there is an underlying problem with her leg, to see the quick change in her when it hurt was a surprise. She was so happy and had a spark about her.
If I need to get a hoist to safely move her from bed to chair or commode I will, we had one 3 years ago when she was bedridden. I also managed her personal care., no it isn't easy but can be done.

I don't know if seizures are common in PWD, not heard of it before.

It's mum's safety and happiness that I care about, if she was to become bedridden I would rather it be here at home than in a room on her own in residential care.
Maybe I am feeling a little sensitive at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet