Some advice about POA and problems in the future

Ab96

Apr 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

My grandad is currently awaiting dementia diagnosis, his doctor has been brilliant with us and exhausted every other avenue before referring to MC so we are pretty sure now. I'm
Also a care assistant so I was pretty sure anyway.

At the moment my nan is panicking, she thinks that she will loose her house if he has to be cared for (although it may seem a long way away he seems to be deteriorating rapidly)

How does this work? If grandad did have to have 24 hour care would they pay for it with there house even though it would essentially make her homeless? Although he doesn't fully understand, it's really stressing him out at the moment, he keeps talking about them loosing the house.

My nan has made an appointment with a solicitor to get POA, however they are charging £750, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated as we really don't know where to turn to for advice

TIA

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

bdmid

Dec 4, 2013
Bristol
HinTia

Hello everyone,

My grandad is currently awaiting dementia diagnosis, his doctor has been brilliant with us and exhausted every other avenue before referring to MC so we are pretty sure now. I'm
Also a care assistant so I was pretty sure anyway.

At the moment my nan is panicking, she thinks that she will loose her house if he has to be cared for (although it may seem a long way away he seems to be deteriorating rapidly)

How does this work? If grandad did have to have 24 hour care would they pay for it with there house even though it would essentially make her homeless? Although he doesn't fully understand, it's really stressing him out at the moment, he keeps talking about them loosing the house.

My nan has made an appointment with a solicitor to get POA, however they are charging £750, is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated as we really don't know where to turn to for advice

TIA
Xxxx

Hi there, I downloaded POA forms from the government website vis internet, this costs £110.00 this Has been a godsend for us as my mum has mixed dementia and determinate do quickly. You don't have to pay £750!! It's a bit of a faff getting the forms signed but it's well worth it. Good luck

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Tell your Nan she has nothing to worry about concerning the house. It will not be included in your Granddads assets as she needs to live there so it is completely disregarded.

If the time should ever come that your Granddad needs to live in a care home then he will have a financial assessment but only money held in his name will be included, this will of course include half of anything held in a joint bank account. What money your Nan has in her name has nothing to do with any assessment done for your Granddad.

Depending on how much he has will determine how he fees are paid.

Hope that helps your Nan and Granddad to stop worrying.

Ab96

Apr 2, 2015
Thankyou both! I have one happy nan and grandad after calling them to let them know! Also got the POA forms downloaded now to get the ball rolling, can't thank you enough xxx