Solicitors fees for LPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Yes - they most definitely can.
I'm not sure on page one of the form it says "You can’t witness your attorneys’ signatures and they can’t witness yours. Anyone else over 18 years old can be a witness."
I've always felt it's better if no one signs in more than one capacity. A witness is just that a witness they saw Mrs X sign a form they don't need to be involved,
I could drag you in off the street and you could witness my wedding and sign the papers as a witness, you don't have to know who I or my wife are, just that you witnessed the wedding.
It's a bit like you can't witness a will and be a beneficiary, when someone asks me to witness a will I say "why you haven't left me anything".
I'm not saying Beate's wrong but it avoids confusion if people don't sign in multiple capacities when it comes to legal things.
K

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...d-register-your-lasting-power-of-attorney.pdf

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's perfectly legit, Kevin. It says on the actual form that the witness can be a certificate provider at part B. Plus attorneys can witness each other if there is more than one. I find that far from confusing, in fact it cuts down on the number of people you need to involve.
We've done that and it was accepted. That was in 2014. If the rules have changed since then, I'm sure they are listed equally prominently on the current form, but I'm pretty sure they haven't.
In the sentence you mention "you" refers to the donor, and the attorney indeed cannot witness the donor's signature and vice versa, but that wasn't the question asked. The question was, can the witness and the certificate provider be one and the same person, and yes, they most definitely can.

Last edited:

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
It's perfectly legit, Kevin. It says on the actual form that the witness can be a certificate provider at part B. Plus attorneys can witness each other if there is more than one. I find that far from confusing, in fact it cuts down on the number of people you need to involve.
We've done that and it was accepted. That was in 2014. If the rules have changed since then, I'm sure they are listed equally prominently on the current form, but I'm pretty sure they haven't.
In the sentence you mention "you" refers to the donor, and the attorney indeed cannot witness the donor's signature and vice versa, but that wasn't the question asked. The question was, can the witness and the certificate provider be one and the same person, and yes, they most definitely can.
Thanks everyone for all your help on this. Have just completed the signing of the forms - did it online, paid and printed the forms for signing as directed online. My neighbour who has known my husband for over 30 years witnessed his donor signature and was the certificate provider. As stated on the form the attorneys can witness each other’s signatures, which we have done. After final check shall be posting the document off. So it seems that the rules are in fact the same as they were in 2014 as Beate suggested. This has made it a lot easier and I hope that all will be in order. I can understand that there are certain circs where it would be better to involve a solicitor etc but we are a very small family and there are no large sums of money involved! I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that it is accepted. Once again thank you to everyone who’s posted on here, you’ve all been so helpful and that’s great.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Great news:)
Now promise me that the next time someone comes on asking how many hundreds of pounds a solicitor will charge you'll join Beate and me and say "if I can do it, anyone can".
K

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Seen on moneysavingexpert website.
1m+ owed refund of Power of Attorney registration fees - how to claim
Have claimed for both parents not had refund yet but claim went through. About to claim for husbands x4 as he changed Attorneys.
There's a thread about it on here (link below) . I started it about 9 months ago and so far quite a few people seem to have got their money back but since MSE put it on their website getting through on the phone seems to be impossible.
K
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/poa-are-you-due-a-refund.103035/

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm locking this thread since Kevin has now given the link to the appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaugh