• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Sold house mistake?


Registered User
Aug 1, 2015
Like a fool I’ve sold my house, my mums sold hers too so that we can move into a bungalow with an annexe. My husband is in a care home with vascular dementia and isn’t self funded. Our home is in joint names and I have POA for him but no will. He has no savings and his state pension pays for his care.
the new property is paid as like for like and I will not be in pocket so to speak. Now I’m devastated because I believe because he owns half of the house I am leaving I will now need a probate solicitor and will have to pay for his care. I’m in full time work as there is 10 years age difference between us. Do I pull out of my house sale?


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
You want to sell a house jointly owned with your husband who I assume lacks capacity.

Although you have LPA you cannot sign both for yourself and on his behalf on the same document.
A trustee will have to be appointed to protect his interests and sign on his behalf, this trustee need not be a solicitor, it can be anybody with no financial interest in the sale.

If the whole proceeds of the sale are used on purchasing the new property I don't think there will be any problem with the LA but check with there finance department.

The new property will be jointly owned by the three of you, shares need not be equal, you and your husband should have equal shares.
If any of the three die their share will be split equally between survivors outside of any will.

Calm down and procced with the sale and purchase if this is what you want to do.
Last edited: