Soft/pureed foods provider recommendations

myss

Jan 14, 2018
This is for my mum, who can't move much, talk or walk and, after much debate of how she is being managed by the council and the care home she was put in, is coming back home next month. My family and I are ecstatic and making preparations. The GP for the care home previously ordered for Mum to have pureed food even though I fed her normal foods on my visits (pre-Covid) and on special occasions the care home themselves had given her solid food too.

The reason for this was that Mum had been coughing on one occasion when she was being fed and the GP was visiting at the same time. That was it, she had never 'choked' before or since then however, so that she can get use to being at home and the family can get use to caring for her, for the first month or two I'm hoping to order a set of foods to have at her home similar to what she's grown used to.

The care home manager has been 'unhelpful' through this transition so there's no point asking there. We've toiled with idea of buying baby foods - which I'd like to avoid as I felt it was bit demeaning - and there are somethings I can get/make for her such as mashed potatoes, cereals like Weetabix and porridge, yoghurts, desserts, etc. But as I won't be with her every day and there will be some care staff, it might be easier all round if I can order some jars of foods where they just need to warm up in a microwave.

I have also looked on the council website and neighbourhood forums of details of a meals-on-wheels service but didn't find any. so I'd be grateful if you have any recommendations.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @myss . If you’re looking for puréed meals that can simply be microwaved Wiltshire Farmfoods have some frozen meals which are nice looking.

When my daughter (as a teen) had a brace and couldn’t chew I used to purée food separately as much as possible so she’d still be served with carrots, peas, fish or whatever but not all blended together. I’m not sure if carers would be willing to reheat home prepared food though.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
For pureed meals cook each item in bulk and use a blender to form purees

Then batch freeze in suitable quantities to defrost, heat in microwave and serve.

Doing it this way adds interest to meals, parts of the meal retain their individual colour and taste.

For soft meat use cuts across the grain, these break up more easily.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @myss . If you’re looking for puréed meals that can simply be microwaved Wiltshire Farmfoods have some frozen meals which are nice looking.

When my daughter (as a teen) had a brace and couldn’t chew I used to purée food separately as much as possible so she’d still be served with carrots, peas, fish or whatever but not all blended together. I’m not sure if carers would be willing to reheat home prepared food though.
When my mum needed purée food the care home used Appetito.. otherwise known as Wiltshire Farm Foods. The moulds used make them look pretty realistic, like normal food. Mum seemed to like them. There are different levels of purée so a SALT Assessment might help you.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you for your replies. I think we're okay to do it ourselves in due course but right now we're busy battling to ensure equipment for Mum's need that has been promised to us by the council is going to be delivered in time. For now, I rather pay for the first couple months then take it from there.

Wiltshire Farm Foods has been suggested on another forum too, so thank you for your personal recommendations.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Mum doesn't have this problem, but we do buy Parley box meals, some of which are quite sloppy. You store them in the cupboard, not freezer.