soft food diet

emta

Aug 24, 2012
my husband has been diagnosed with swallowing problem and I am struggling to provide a variety of evening tea. I have got my head round dinners by processing his veg and meat but at the moment find providing tea difficult. I am waiting for a prescription for thickener for his drinks until then he is on smoothies and milk shakes which are adding to the cost of living! any advice would be appreciated

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
my husband has been diagnosed with swallowing problem and I am struggling to provide a variety of evening tea. I have got my head round dinners by processing his veg and meat but at the moment find providing tea difficult. I am waiting for a prescription for thickener for his drinks until then he is on smoothies and milk shakes which are adding to the cost of living! any advice would be appreciated

cheese and potatoe pie, scrambled eggs or a thick soup. Sandwiches with soft fillings like tuna, egg or grated cheese cut into fingers with crusts removed. Puddings can be ice cream, mousse, rice and cheesecake. My husband likes sponge and custard and it is mixed together so it becomes a thick paste. Does not look so nice but tastes good. Cheesecake with cream added. My husband's usual pudding is mousse.

Shepher's pie and corned beef hash are also soft foods.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There are companies like Wiltshire Farm Foods that provide softer and puréed meals but if you get them on a daily basis, it's not exactly cheap either. Jaymor's suggestions sound good to me.

emta

Aug 24, 2012
cheese and potatoe pie, scrambled eggs or a thick soup. Sandwiches with soft fillings like tuna, egg or grated cheese cut into fingers with crusts removed. Puddings can be ice cream, mousse, rice and cheesecake. My husband likes sponge and custard and it is mixed together so it becomes a thick paste. Does not look so nice but tastes good. Cheesecake with cream added. My husband's usual pudding is mousse.

Shepher's pie and corned beef hash are also soft foods.
thank you Jaymor I do the sandwiches but wasn't sure I should other suggestions great but he is allergic to cheese. think I needed assurance as would not like to cause him more problems EMTA

emta

Aug 24, 2012
There are companies like Wiltshire Farm Foods that provide softer and puréed meals but if you get them on a daily basis, it's not exactly cheap either. Jaymor's suggestions sound good to me.

I agree with you about Wiltshire foods especially as budget gets stretched anyway

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
B has this with his Parkinson's, we use soft stew mince and cottage pie, beans are good and of course Wiltshire farm are good.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Quiche and potatoes croquettes are good too as long as the croquettes are not over cooked with the coating getting too hard. Veg is fine as long as you give it a bit of a blitz in a blender. Any meat is ok as long as that is blended and steamed fish either on it's own or mixed with mashed potatoes.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
With you now, sorry but B is one of those gentlemen who always said "real men don't eat quiche", sorry darling will make you an omelette.

He does like black pudding and chopped tomatoes, thats another standby. Haggis, neeps and tatties with plenty gravy.

macaroni cheese, now and again. What I also do is get tinned meatballs and mshe up, and also tinned hamburgers they mash well to.

Last edited:

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
My hubby is not too good with cutlery so looking for more finger food. I came across an excellent article on the internet ,Eating well: supporting older people and older people with dementia by Helen Crawley. Its really good with a range of menus for finger, soft and pureed plus lots of other dietary info. I printed it all of in work, shhh, its a 125 booklet! But of course you can read it online.
Hope this helps.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Teatime suggestions....

Soft scrambled egg in in thin white bread with no crusts
smooth Pate , again thin cut bread, pate perhaps softened a bit with milk

Tinned rice pudding and fruit puree?
Angel delight/instant whip

Yoghurt- bits free- kids ones are good
Mashed banana sandwich- my mum favourite sandwich!

Philly cheese sandwich - doesn't taste like cheese

jacket potato with lots of butter?Mash it for him before sevring

Porridge/ready brek - once in a while wouldn't hurt

Blancmange/milk jelly

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
"...Eating well: supporting older people and older people with dementia by Helen Crawley..."

You can get it >>>HERE<<<

What an excellent resource Nitram. Thank you. I've had a quick 'skite' through the first 20 pages or so but will print it out so I can read it properly.

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
I put grated cheese (only a little as he is not good with dairy in general) and grated onion plus butter in the scrambled eggs to increase the calories. He is also good with skinless sausages. Depending whether a fully puréed diet is required I am finding that garlic (good for lowering blood pressure, naturally) and onion dip is very acceptable with tuc biscuits ( seem to melt in the mouth). As with others syrup sponge pudding n custard goes down without problems. My Dad now takes two sugars in his drink whereas he never used to. Simple sugars seem to be more desirable for many. Love Rose x

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
well B and I have just had a very nice tin of chicken in white sauce with mashed potato. I won't mention the brand as that is advertising but it starts with P and they do meat pastes, and other tinned meats and in particular salmon. I shreaded the chicken and there was a lot of sauce... no chocking or coughing. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson