1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Mjaqmac

Mjaqmac Registered User

Mar 13, 2004
    Hi Everyone,

I think I read in another thread something about socks that don't cut into the leg, but I can't find it again.

No matter how loose or soft the socks are Mum always has a ring from the impression of the top of the socks, her legs tend to swell during the day.

Are there special socks that can help this? She only likes to wear trousers so socks are an everyday thing.

Thank you.

2. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Magic,

Have a look for 'fall down' type socks. They are the sort that you wear with boots and are very loose at the top. Sainsbury's sell them, as do Tesco.

Jude

3. Mjaqmac

Mjaqmac Registered User

Mar 13, 2004
    Thanks Jude, have also found the cosyfeet site since posting this. It was way back on the resources site.

Took mum home from respite yesterday, so everything a bit hectic again!

4. storm

storm Registered User

Aug 10, 2004
    notts
    Dear Magic,the cosytoes site is brill they have got just what you need i had some socks for mum and they have been great. Hope everything settles down for you soon. storm

5. Mjaqmac

Mjaqmac Registered User

Mar 13, 2004
    Thanks Storm. Nearly had a heart attack this morning when we got the bill in for mum's 5 week stay in respite!
    It's cheaper to just have a breakdown!

6. thompsonsom

thompsonsom Registered User

Jul 4, 2004
    halifax
    hi Mjaqmac

Know just what you mean about the bill for respite, makes you think doesn't it, why we are not entitled to same amount each week as carers.

Janice