Social Workers

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
At what point do I need Social Services?

Mum is becoming increasing frustrated and angry and taking out her anger of her brother who is her full time carer.
She has occasionally thrown small items at him but this week she went upstairs to his bedroom and threw a saucepan full of water and potatoes at him. Luckily she held on to the pan and fortunately the water was cold !
For her sake, my uncle & my sanity we need help.
I contacted the Adult Mental Health Services. They told me to phone GP. I phoned her GP - she said we need to contact the memory clinic. The memory clinic say she is no longer on their books and Mum needs a referral from GP.
The GPs receptionist (who has been the most helpful of all the people I've spoken to today) suggested I phoned Social Services, mention the word Safe Guarding and someone would help.
The council telephone number diverts you to a black hole with a half message about delays.
I am going to scream AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

By the time we get this sorted Mum may have hurt, scarred for life or killed someone. We can't go on like this.

Any suggestions would be really great.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi, I think the receptionist's advice is good. The word 'Safeguarding' usually results in action.

If you can't get through on the phone, is there a 'contact us' facility on the council website? There should also be a number to use in case of emergency. If it says this is for out of hours use, don't hesitate, call after 5pm. The emergency team is sometimes able to be more responsive than the the daytime one.

If all else fails, I'd dial 999. This is a health emergency and they should be able to help.

Wishing you all the best in such a difficult situation.

Lindy x