Social workers

dannyem

Mar 31, 2015
Here I am again, with my head full of not knowing where to turn.....have spoken to the social workers apparently as mom is still "functional" whatever that means she is not top priority......I would debate that - I went up last night and we had a few words as she was attempting to make this cake that was all wrong and I was concerned about the oven being left on as it was nearly 8.30pm then......

Have also found out that mom hasnt taken a whole weeks worth of anti depressants - she wont let me help her if I try and persuade her to have them whilst Im there.....I am already doing her eye drops every day. I dont see how I can continue with all of this and do a full time job and keep up with two teenagers!

Should I pester the social workers to help quicker and just leave it - I am constantly anxious about mom to the point of not being able to concentrate on much else....would the GP be a better call for tablets and eye drops?

Thanks all

You are all such a help and source of comfort.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Find out from the GP how her health would be affected if she did not take the anti depressants and was unable to administer the eye drops - ie no medication.

Inform the SW of the GP's reply and ask how she can be considered 'functional'.

There is no obligation on you to care for you mom, the SW is filing you as 'easy case to deal with'.

Keep a log of all 'events', this could be invaluable in the future.

dannyem

Mar 31, 2015
Thank you - I will try and record everything - its just a daily ongoing thing isnt it? One thing after another.

I will call the GP and see what they say

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
I would inform GP either in writing or phone that mum is not taking her tablets or able to administer eye drops. I would ask if the district nurse could administer the eye drops if they are a medicine, then they have to do this I believe. I would keep ringing the social workers until they do something. It sounds like she needs carers to administer the medicine, sometimes they can do the eyedrops too.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Please don't be patient .
I am sorry to say that it's the squeakiest wheel that gets the most oil.
I agree with speaking to Mum's GP explain exactly how mum is , problems with medication, and what the social worker said.

Sending you a ((((((HUG)))))) As I know only to well the stamina it takes to fight fight fight, they sure don't make it easy do they

Last edited:

dannyem

Mar 31, 2015
Thank you - I have printed out that checklist and will update it monthly - ready to produce as and when is needed.

I wrote to Mom's GP last night voicing my concerns about tablets and so on so hopefully there will be some response from that instead.

As you all have said, those who shout loudest usually get heard so time for me to "be bossy" as my Mom says I am :p

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Woops Stanley thanks for pointing out my mistake. Nevertheless I think it is a useful check list that moves us way from the endless debate about stages.

It doesn't cover everything of course. However, I filled one in for mum on 1st March, and looking at it can already see substantial changes.....can be useful as an aide memoire, I think :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think there comes a time when a checklist is no longer useful. Once every point on the checklist is negative GPs/memory clinics are not interested in the progress of the disease. In my experience social workers are not interested in this level of nitty gritty. I say that as someone who has an excellent social worker.

Having said that I can see it could be useful in the earlier stages.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think there comes a time when a checklist is no longer useful. Once every point on the checklist is negative

My feeling is that is it starts and ends with negativity. What about smiling, laughing, stroking pets, responding to children, singing along to music, enjoying a joke...... Aren't these pretty important? Of course they will become less frequent and may disappear altogether eventually, and that could be noted as useful information in the same way.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My feeling is that is it starts and ends with negativity. What about smiling, laughing, stroking pets, responding to children, singing along to music, enjoying a joke...... Aren't these pretty important? Of course they will become less frequent and may disappear altogether eventually, and that could be noted as useful information in the same way.

Yes. Totally agree!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
You can function independently without smiling, stroking pets etc. which is the point of the document. It's not a tool for measuring quality of life, it's giving an indicator of when someone needs a carer/should go into a care home, as far as I can see.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You can function independently without smiling, stroking pets etc. which is the point of the document. It's not a tool for measuring quality of life, it's giving an indicator of when someone needs a carer/should go into a care home, as far as I can see.

My husband wouldn't score anything on that checklist and it certainly isn't an indicator to me that he should go into a care home.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
But presumably he needs care - yours.

Indeed he does. I am also fortunate enough to live in Scotland. I didn't need a checklist to talk to my social worker about what was needed. We have 25 hours of professional care a week.