Social workers don't help...are they suppose to!

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Hi

Why aren't family carers being listened to, I'm a carer for my mum who is 57 and has dementia,

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I am sorry to see you have not had any helpful replies. It may help to give a rough idea of where you are located so people in the same area can respond.
Response in my area, Herts, is extremely slow. I have been waiting since mid-March to have the recommendations made in my carer's assessment implemented. This is not because anyone disagrees with them, just that the SWs are overburdened with cases all of which need action.
Have you had a carer's assessment? If not then definitely ask for one as it will put you on their radar.
Do not give up. You need to be the squeaky wheel.
Tre

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Social Workers tend to get a mixed press on TP. Some are very helpful and others are maybe very overworked because of 'austerity' cuts. But it also has to be said that some seem to have little understanding of dementia, judging by reports from members. I hope you've not got one of those.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
What do you need them to do lovely? We might be able to tell you the magic words to use. (I had no joy getting my mother in law some help with having an upstairs toilet put in until I said the magic words.)

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Social Workers tend to get a mixed press on TP. Some are very helpful and others are maybe very overworked because of 'austerity' cuts. But it also has to be said that some seem to have little understanding of dementia, judging by reports from members. I hope you've not got one of those.

They are the most unhelpful people on the planet, regardless they actually have a duty of care. I thought that most social workers were helpful symapatic, my mums is the worse, discussing my mums case with her daughter, telling me that she is too busy to reply to my phon cells and emails as she's s manager as well as a social worker. Taking 4 months to actually get any money still waiting, no communication on why the hold up despite my emails phone calls. Has anyone has simulator experience if so, what did they do about it.

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
What do you need them to do lovely? We might be able to tell you the magic words to use. (I had no joy getting my mother in law some help with having an upstairs toilet put in until I said the magic words.)

Oh please do tell me those magic words...

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
discussing my mums case with her daughter,

That is breach of confidentiality, I don't know if you have a PALS (Patient Advice & Liason Service) in your area where you could make a complaint to?

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Oh please do tell me those magic words...

The magic words depend on what you need doing cherub, but "vulnerable adult" and duty of care" apply to most dementia situations.

Maybe you need advice from The Alzheimer's Society, Age Uk, CAB, or the Admiral nurses? There must be something you can do, and they would all know the drill.

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
That is breach of confidentiality, I don't know if you have a PALS (Patient Advice & Liason Service) in your area where you could make a complaint to?

Oh I know, there's so much more she said to me. I've complain before about something else to pals. Mainly about the care my mother was receiving in hospital, also mentioned about the issues I have with mum getting her into and out of the car without her noticing her reflection so she doesn't become too distressed, and about parking when I had to take mum up hospital be issue she deemed as being mobile it doesn't fall into the moublity section. She told me that I would be known to pals as the complainer and proberely wouldn't be listen too. Every time i have anything to do with her she makes my blood boil, get so cross and frustrated with her.

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
The magic words depend on what you need doing cherub, but "vulnerable adult" and duty of care" apply to most dementia situations.

Maybe you need advice from The Alzheimer's Society, Age Uk, CAB, or the Admiral nurses? There must be something you can do, and they would all know the drill.

I've gone down the route and the very disappointed doesn't seems to do much thou. Want a different social worker but deauptyship is going through so solicitor said I needed to hold fire till that went through.

Joco

Feb 24, 2012
Hi, I'm so sorry you've had this experience, this sw sounds grossly unprofessional. You can report to the HCPC which is the regulatory body for all social workers in England. Also, if the sw is employed by the local authority you should be able to phone up and make a complaint. Telling you you'd be known as the complainer to discourage you from making a complaint is disgraceful.

A lot of social workers are overworked yes, however that doesn't help you much. As sad as it is I find that those who shout the loudest have a better result, so keep on at them. They do have a duty of care.

Good luck