Social Worker

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Isn't it fantastic when you get a really good one! Unfortunately my really good one has been unallocated from us!! It makes me very, very angry. Next time I need something it will be like starting all over again.
I rang today to ask about the card because I need to go on direct payments, I knew it had been sent because she rang me & told me. They have sent it to MILs, duh! I said could they send a replacement to me, the lady I spoke to said no. So I told her that if that was the case then I am unlikely to ever get one as MIL has AD & that with the best will in the world I cannot police her mail as I do not know when it will arrive.

It is being sent to me!

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
That is so frustrating for you, I hope she is true to her word and it arrives at your address. Not a social worker but I recently encountered in hospital a jobsworth with lack of common sense or even ability to listen to what she was being told. The blood lady came to take sample from Dad apart from having to hold him down which was traumatic and difficult enough, Dad's Christian names were transposed when his birth was registered and in those days it was left and not amended. Hence when she asked Dad (we had already explained he won't understand and doesn't have mental capacity) if he was Peter Brian (only ever known as Brian) twice I told her that he wouldn't respond to Peter but would probably Brian, twice she blundered on saying but he has to confirm what is on his hospital bracelet and asking dad again. My response - good luck with that then! She eventually accepted as his attorney that I would confirm his details for him, beggars belief the lack of common sense even when dealing with the obvious!

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
I've had a huge problem just contacting adult social care. They won't take "self referrals" and woudln't even accept a referral from mums memory clinic nurse when I was absolutely on my knees earlier in the year. I've been waiting for a carers assessment since last October! Recently my brother (lives 190 miles away) seems to have got a response from them (god alone knows what he said!) as I had a phone call a week or so ago while I was at work. I explained that it wasn't convenient to speak as I work in a very public office but said I'd call back in an hour or so. I've been trying at different times of the day every day since but each time I've got a ringing phone that isn't answered and doesn't seem to have voicemail. I'm beginning to think it may be deliberate so that they've got the excuse "well we tried to contact you but weren't able to".

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've had a huge problem just contacting adult social care. They won't take "self referrals" and woudln't even accept a referral from mums memory clinic nurse".

I put in to google "carers assessment" and the name of my local authority, there's a phone number and an e-mail address to contact them it even says "It is important you contact us before you reach the end of your tether." Next to it is a quick link to the complains where I can go "if you feel there has been unreasonable delay in providing a service" could you try that?
Lizzibean, where possible I avoid using the phone, I seem to get a better result when it's in either writing or e-mail, I think it's to do with there being a paper trail unlike phone calls.
K

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I've had a huge problem just contacting adult social care. They won't take "self referrals" and woudln't even accept a referral from mums memory clinic nurse when I was absolutely on my knees earlier in the year. I've been waiting for a carers assessment since last October! Recently my brother (lives 190 miles away) seems to have got a response from them (god alone knows what he said!) as I had a phone call a week or so ago while I was at work. I explained that it wasn't convenient to speak as I work in a very public office but said I'd call back in an hour or so. I've been trying at different times of the day every day since but each time I've got a ringing phone that isn't answered and doesn't seem to have voicemail. I'm beginning to think it may be deliberate so that they've got the excuse "well we tried to contact you but weren't able to".

Hi Liz

I would say that this is totally unacceptable :mad:

I agree with Kevinl, I would put it in writing to the 'contact us' address. If you don't hear back within a couple of days, email them again confirming you will be writing to the Head of Adult Social Care, with a copy to your MP.

If you're like me, you won't like making a fuss, but the truth is that in this situation, it's the only way to get any help.

All the best :)

Lindy xx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
That's the annoying thing with this situation for me, so far I have never had a problem contacting our SW. I know she is unlikely to be available every time I ring but she always rings back within a day or two. She has always been accommodating & everything I have asked for I have got (not that I have been demanding, only asking for things that I think are necessary)
I also know that you don't keep hold of SWs long term & that if I have a problem I will be allocated a new one but I want the old one!!!!!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
That's the annoying thing with this situation for me, so far I have never had a problem contacting our SW. I know she is unlikely to be available every time I ring but she always rings back within a day or two. She has always been accommodating & everything I have asked for I have got (not that I have been demanding, only asking for things that I think are necessary)
I also know that you don't keep hold of SWs long term & that if I have a problem I will be allocated a new one but I want the old one!!!!!

Sadly, lizzybean, I'd guess that the social worker would like to keep you too .....

It's regarded by TPTB to be more efficient to have them do a piece of work and then move on...but in my experience, most would rather maintain relationships and develop support plans from a position of experience, rather than coming in as a new worker.

So no-one wins, except possibly the balance sheet! :( x

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
After we stopped being looked after by a CPN which gave at least some continuity the system changed and we were in the cost cutting case open and case closed system and so you just get allocated to any SW with a space.
Following my husbands tumble last December, some helpful advice from TP suggested a bed lever might be of help so I contacted the call centre to get an asessment. Because my husband has a rare dementia which means he is also functionally blind, eyes OK but brain cannot process the info, I fought to get re-allocated back to our original SW when our case re-opens. However, I did not mention it this time as I thought it would be an OT who would do the assessment.
After several chases she came a couple of weeks ago and it was not an OT but another SW so back to square one. We are now waiting for the bed lever to be delivered and she is coming back next week to do a carers assessment for me but the other SW knew us and knew my husband's special needs. I feel I cannot moan about this as it will just delay things further and we have waited long enough as it is with my husband in the risky condition where he might fall again. This SW is nice but does not know us.
All the details I gave to the other SW are no doubt available on his record but the SW only looks at the most recent stuff because of time constraints.
This might tick boxes for their admin but it is a bit depressing to be on the receiving end. It feels like a game of snakes and ladders and being thress quarters of the way to winning and then landing on that big snake that takes you back to the first row.
Tre

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
They are very careful in this area not to give out any personal email for a SW so you have to go via the call centre.
They like to contact me by email but it is always sent via a no reply mailbox which I feel is a bit one sided. This all refers to the LA here in Herts. I have managed by total persistence to get an email for the local Consultant's secretary but this is health not social care.
As my husband has a rare dementia we are also under UCH in London but only for health issues not social care. They get it right as we have a personal Email for the nurse assigned to us and we get a prompt response and she liaises with David's consultant who phones me if needed.
I feel there is a big problem with the current system of opening and shutting cases for SW. I do not think they like it much either. It is as I see it a back door way of increasing their caseloads.
The difficulty is that when you need them you phone the call centre who email the SW team with brief details. Calling at the point of need sounds OK in theory but when you have called like I did because of an increase in the likelihood of falls it is not good to wait about 10 weeks in pre-allocation ( no-one counting how long you wait) before a SW is allocated to help you. Now we are a couple more weeks after seeing her waiting for equipment so it will probably be about 4 months wait in all and during that time every night I am in the same risky situation getting my husband in and out of bed and stressing out in case I have to call out the paramedics again. If I had a problem with our car and the garage responded like this they would have no customers but of course we have no choice with social care but to wait.
I must say the call centre staff are very good, apparently they have recently had specific training in respect of dealing compassionately with carers, but they are based in Birmingham whereas the SWs are in Herts. Also the SWs are fine once you get back in the system. This is what happens when the system is devised by accountants I think and I bet it is not even cost effective but they do not know as the ensuing emergencies before you see a SW come off another budget. I live in hope that the joining back up of health and social care my address this but I am not holding my breath.
Tre

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I think my original SW would have liked to do this, but I did have contact with her Team Leader who would not allow it. Even now the current SW said she would write to me regarding the latest assessment and this would have her contact details but it turned out it had her full name but only the all purpose call centre number
The original SW even called me from her home when she was not supposed to be at work. She only admitted to this when I queried the dog barking in the background.
Tre