Social worker appointment

Andrea57

Feb 15, 2020
Chesterfield
Hi my mum has been on reablement ,having a carer come in the mornings for personal care this about to end but I can carry on with the same care agency I have spoken to them about this because we will have to fund .I think I have a plan to cut my hours at work and apply for carers allowance it will be a big hit to my income but I don't see any other way. I have an appointment next work with social worker about how to move on ,I just wandered about what I should expect and what I should ask. I need to get things sorted for mums care but I am between a rock and hard place as to whether I can do it alone. Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Has your mum had a financial assessment? If she has over £25,000 in saving (excluding the house she is living in) then, yes, she would have to pay, but if there is savings less than that then the Local Authority will pay towards it (possibly the full ammount)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Andrea57 I notice that you say “we will have to pay”. Only the person being cared for has to pay and then only if, as canary says, their savings are above approx £25k.

Andrea57

Feb 15, 2020
Chesterfield
Hi @Andrea57 I notice that you say “we will have to pay”. Only the person being cared for has to pay and then only if, as canary says, their savings are above approx £25k.
Yes sorry I always seem to refer has we just cause its just me and mum now.How does it work if I can't access her savings.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You will need POA, or, if she still has capacity she can pay for them herself - you may have to use love lies to facilitate this ;).

Please dont sacrifice your job, your financial situation and your future pension. Eventually, even if you were not working at all you would still need more help

Andrea57

Feb 15, 2020
Chesterfield
You will need POA, or, if she still has capacity she can pay for them herself - you may have to use love lies to facilitate this ;).

Please dont sacrifice your job, your financial situation and your future pension. Eventually, even if you were not working at all you would still need more help
Hi its to late for poa .we live together I can't see any way around not cutting my hours and being at home more when she is reluctant to have the carers in for morning let alone any other time .I don't want to make the wrong decision it's just so overwhelming.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you cant get POA you can go for deputyship. Its a faff, but doable.
As soon as you can , get carers in. She will undoubtably object at first (they all do), but its much better to get them used to someone other than yourself doing things for them or you will make a rod for your own back

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
As soon as you can , get carers in. She will undoubtably object at first (they all do), but its much better to get them used to someone other than yourself doing things for them or you will make a rod for your own back

This last sentence, is the most important piece of advice that can possibly be given, to someone starting down the care road.

Bod

Andrea57

Feb 15, 2020
Chesterfield
Its abit late the I have doing it for 5years since my dad died due to other health problems she has and even before that, just more intence since the dementia. But I do feel now I should have more me time .thanks for the advice.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Its abit late the I have doing it for 5years since my dad died due to other health problems she has and even before that, just more intence since the dementia. But I do feel now I should have more me time .thanks for the advice.
I had same thing with my dad strongly opposed to carers said in no uncertain terms no carer nobody telling him what to eat what time to go bed etc
I had to get carers in called them’ cleaners ‘at the time 1 /12 yr ago was ok as was agency had uniform staff so thats what he thought and literally all they did was clean! No personal carer medication etc so it was okish though never worked out because all agencies i used was rubbish anyway but ive now got private sole carer if u might try that route might be more personal n say that they are a friend needs job or cleaner like i did

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27