Social Worker advice please

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Reds, Jul 4, 2015.

  1. Reds

    Reds Registered User

    Sep 5, 2011
    Hi all

    How can a social worker help? My husband has Alzheimer's at 62.

  2. jaymor

    jaymor Volunteer Moderator

    Jul 14, 2006
    If you get a good one they can be your best friend. We were given one very late, around the beginning of the 6th year following diagnosis. He came and did an assessment of my husbands needs and the following week came to assess how caring was affecting me and what help I needed.

    He suggested day care and actually came with us to have a look. The lady said yes my husband could go once a week, he said I needed at least two days and she agreed that. 9 months later my husband was in an assessment unit.

    When my husband was taken into an assessment unit following three crises he came there with me and sat in on all our meetings. When we were told my husband could no longer be cared for at home he was there again for us and supplied us with a list of care homes in our area. We had contact with him right up to the day my husband went into full time care.

    So if you do get a good one use them, they are a connection to Social Services and will have knowledge of what is available out there to help you. I hope you get a good and supportive Social Worker but be prepared to have to chase sometimes, most of them cover the job part time, spending time in another area part of the week.
  3. marionq

    marionq Registered User

    Apr 24, 2013
    Jaymors advice is good. SWs like us all come in different types. Some are more helpful than others. Keep a note of their name, phone number and organisation and location because over the period of his illness you will have many others to deal with and it is very confusing.

    Contacting them is often difficult when you have to go through a reception number so if they give you a direct number hang on to it. Your need for contacts will grow over the years.
  4. sistermillicent

    sistermillicent Registered User

    Jan 30, 2009
    They can help you access services such as carers, respite, day care, occupational therapists who will get you accessories you may need such as bath lifts, they can point you in the right direction, they can suggest things to you or answer questions, they can and will take over in an emergency, for example if you were hospitalised suddenly and your husband was alone.....
    give it a try. my dad was reluctant and resistant but he got a good one and appreciates her.
  5. henfenywfach

    henfenywfach Registered User

    May 23, 2013

    Like everyone else has get good and bad ones..

    My dad has dementia and i care for him. He lives with my mum but hes been her carer for years.

    I never make a policy of asking what they can do to help..or you ll get the budget..people in need of more than yourself talk. I told them what id like them to try and help us with..long rail at garden..alarms (fall) centres (my dads centre is postive vibrant and ).
    My dads perceptions are i asked for the sensory team to come look at the house see if they could suggest things to benefit my dad. Theyve put lighting in to help him.

    If you seem to be doing everything yourself without help..its harder to get help later on. ..
    With dementia being progressive..things will change..and if help needed or respite needed ..they can help...keep in touch because if you have a regular sw it can help by not having to explain it all again to a new one.
    Just remember its whats best for you and your loved one is important..not whats best for them..
    Best wishes

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app
  6. Bill Owen

    Bill Owen Registered User

    Feb 17, 2014
    A lot

    belive me . I have had a good s/worker . Help to get pip for my wife . Help me to get care mony has i now look after my wife full time had to give up work.arange for carer to look after my wife so i couls have a brak game of snooker and a pnt call out to have a chat .
  7. tre

    tre Registered User

    Sep 23, 2008
    Hi Reds,
    I am in Herts too. I have found some SWs helpful and others frankly useless but I would give it a try. My husband had signs at 64 but we did not get a diagnosis until he was 67. This was some time back. He is now 75.
    Ther is now an early onset group in Herts but as you no doubt know it is a big county. The best support seems to be in the Stevenage and St Albans areas and the worst around Royston and Buntingford.
    I have found Carers in Herts extremely helpful and would suggest you talk to them. They will also help you know what support you can expect from a SW.
  8. Reds

    Reds Registered User

    Sep 5, 2011
    Thank you for all the replies and very interesting/helpful.

    Reds x
  9. Quilty

    Quilty Registered User

    Aug 28, 2014
    The best sw is your advocate and voice. I always made a point of saying thank you for any help given. They have so much on their plate and rarely get thanks. Ours has been a life saver.
  10. Boldredrosie

    Boldredrosie Registered User

    Mar 13, 2012
    Depends on your expectations and what you need. Our experience with social workers has been appalling. As a friend of mine explained (& her mum had dementia), if you are ok today they don't think about tomorrow or the day after and will do nothing for you or your family. For us, each SW has raced to find my mum has capacity & as soon as she refuses anything they suggest they back off and leave us to our own devices. I had hope the change in the Care Act so they have to think of my well being as her carer but haven't seen any change. It took a charity to force them to even do an assessment of me and certainly no social worker advised about carer's allowance or attendance allowance.
    I still think you're better off alerting them to your situation but I think you're better off with Age UK or Alzheimer's Society as signposters of what you can do and perhaps the local carers' organisation. Whatever -- good luck.
  11. LizzyA

    LizzyA Registered User

    Feb 21, 2013
    Near Reading
    Mum's social worker has been amazing. In the earlier stages there wasn't much that she could do but at least I had her number etc. With mum's more recent deterioration and increasing lack of independence she has sorted out carers (mum is self-funding), monitored them, popped in to check on mum, liaised with the hospital to ensure that mum was re-assessed before discharge, liaised with district nurses, advised on miscellaneous issues etc. She also (and very importantly) calmed the doctor down when she was trying to insist that mum needed to go into a care home immediately. She's been great. Seriously brilliant. I'd say get one on board asap as it's usually in a crisis that you need them and it's easier if you're already in the system.
  12. Nordholm123

    Nordholm123 Registered User

    Mar 2, 2012
    My wife 73 has had Alzheimer's since aged 59. You need social worker for assistance assessment. Also in your town there should be a Carers Association office. Advice free - inf and help on caring and on benefits, medical issues for patient and yourself. Very important and very helpful. Best wishes.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.