Social Work Advice

Senga

Oct 1, 2013
Hi all,

My sister has a council house but we have been told she cannot return home and will have to go straight from hospital to a CH.

The hospital have told me not to do anything about her house as a social worker will be in touch with me soon. Any advice re what to expect and what to beware of during this visit would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Leave them to it.
Make sure the property is reasonably clean and tidy and be prepared to empty it of her effects.
If you have a key try and keep it till you have emptied the property.

Senga

Oct 1, 2013
This is what's worrying me - that they want the key on the first visit.

The last thing she would want is her house contents being left in their hands...... Some of the larger electical items I have bought for her and I do know family who would be grateful for them.......

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
There used to be a rule, don't know if still applicable (it was 10 years ago), that someone was not compelled to give up their home, legally, until they had been in new home for 6 weeks and that it was satisfactory for them, even if their situation deemed that they could not return to that home. This should give you time to clear the property.

CAB or Shelter may be able to advise
best wishes
Sue

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If I where you and still had the key I'd clear the house as soon as you can.

They may say you did not have right of entry as your sister has stopped paying rent but I don't think they would take formal action against you.

If left to the (non)-cooperation between various council departments anything could happen, at the best you would have to organise getting hold of the key again at a time that suits them.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Howw about getting another key cut and still being ble to return one?? I understand what you are saying though about things which could help other members of the family. If you can prove that you bought these items, tell SW as soon as possible that there are oitems in the home which belong to you but which you had lent to your sister.

Jeannette

Senga

Oct 1, 2013
It's getting a bit scary now..... I've taken the advice and emailed CAB and Shelter with the details, fingers crossed they get back to me asap.

The rent is still being paid as we had hoped, up until Wednesday, that she would be returning home..... I think I will start emptying it over the weekend to be on the safe side tho, it's just a wee bit of me does'nt want to start it as it's final then....

Thanks to all.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Emptying it is of cause a signal for them to change their mind!!!!
Will she be self funding in the care home?

She should not be discharged without a full assessment of her condition and needs and the formulation of a care plan. Each hospital or trust has it's own systems. If you ask as nearest relative, or a near relative, you may be able to get involved especially if your sister has started to loose capacity.

You could contact PALS
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patient advice and liaison services (PALS)/LocationSearch/363
to find details of discharge procedures in the hospital.

Senga

Oct 1, 2013
No nitram, she is not self funding, it will all be paid thru benefits.

The decision has been made by 'the Doctor' that she go into the CH, done and dusted without any type of consultation with me.....