Social Services's Assessment

KatsWhiskers

Feb 8, 2007
Ramsgate - Kent
Can someone please tell me how the SS perform their assessments both for the carer and the AZ sufferer ? In other words what is involved ?

Thanks and good wishes to you all.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Perform?

Sorry, they don't
I still do not know what the assessement is for my hubby, and as for me as a,carer, nil.

Wish you luck
Barb:mad:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Its rather difficult to be specific because it all depends on your local authority (LA). Some are better than others. They are essentially trying to evaluate your needs and match them with the available services. Obviously some areas will have far more services available than others, both for carers and sufferers. However, in order to access any of these services you have to be evaluated.

It will be helpful if you can be as honest as possible with them - you get no points for being brave. If they offer something you don't want, you don't have to take it, so don't worry about that. A decent evaluation will also make sure that you have applied for everything you might be eligible for - e.g. attendance allowance.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi KatsWhiskers and welcome,

As Jennifer says it seems different for different Local Authorities. However, this factsheet may help and give you few pointers as to what you can expect:

Community care assessment
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/418

This assesment is to find out was services are available including things like meals on wheels, home care, respite care etc. There should be advice on financing and making sure you are claiming correctly. It is also important for the social worker to make sure you can cope and are getting all the help you need as a carer - they have a resonsibility to assess this. The quality of the assesment does vary and a lot of it is down to the social worker you are allocated.

In our case (within Dorset at the time) the local authority did the assesment even though we were not entilted to funded care. In the end we had to pay for the day centre and other services but the assesment was really helpful as the social worker made it very clear which services were available and which would be suitable for dad at the time.

Please post if you have any other questions and welcome to talking point.

Hope this helps
Craig

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
H KatsWhiskers

Just want to emphasise what Jennifer has said.

Always give worst-case scenario. For the person with AD, stress how much help they need with mobility, feeding, washing and dressing, continence, language -- any other problems you have.

For the carer, stress the effect on your own health, the need to get out for a while, to have some me-time.

Also think what aids you might need, such as grab rails, shower stools, etc.

Think of every problem that has arisen, and bring it up. It's not moaning, it's just making sure you get all the help you are entitled to.

Good luck,

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Hi Katswhiskas

An assessment should be a holistic overview of the Client's situation as well as the carer. The type of questions that are asked are, or should be, around the daily living situation and what the difficulties are and what you would like to happen. From an assessment, a 'care plan' is discussed - could be services like day care, respite etc. There is never a solution to all the problems and bear this in mind - I say that because I sit on both sides of the fence, my Nan has AD and I do these in my area of work - there is only a limited amount of resources. Ensure that you are given very clear information from this too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch