Social services

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect. Mum is mid stage and is now needing more help and supervision. We arrange our own carers independently. About a month ago she got a very welcome visit from an alzheimers nurse and navigator, so far so good. They are concerned about her getting lost and are introducing social services who will visit Mum. My question is: Are there any charges for this service presumably provided by the local authority? Nothing has been mentioned about payment to social services but having read the new rules I see that even if you are self funding it is still possible to ask the local authority to arrange a care home placement. There is, however, a charge and likely ongoing charges for this service. So I wondered if the same applied to social services visits and recommendations. I'm not totally against any charges as long as I know in advance what to expect. Thanks for reading, any thoughts would be appreciated.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Everyone is entitled to an assessment of needs, there are no charges for the assessment, it is supposed to be arranged within 28 days of asking.

Needs are assessed before any financial assessment.

Most people have to contribute towards their care provision, in fact, I personally don't know of any service user who doesn't contribute, with nil savings and only benefits, they still have to contribute.

Social Service input is not chargeable just services provided.

Good luck.

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks garnuft for responding. I was just wondering who pays for the social services staff visits. I assume these are paid by the local authority and Mum only pays for care or services that they might arrange.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You're right in your assumptions Carol :)

Your Mum is also entitled to an assessment by an Occupational Therapist(Social Services have an OT on their team) to advise on any aids that might help her, most of these...if not all, are also provided free, once they have been assessed as a 'need'.

Care provisions are chargeable but means tested. For example my son (27, severely disabled) has four days of day care 9am until 3.30pm and he pays c£70 per month...my Mam had 9 and half hours care per week (which she wouldn't accept but that's ANOTHER story) and she paid £109 per WEEK.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Social services pay all there own charges; time, visits, advise ect, any services they advise and you take up like carer visit you will pay some or all of depending on your finances (I should have actually said your mum will have to pay depending on her finances). They will tell you the costs and what percentage she'll be liable for.
I can't find one council website where the costs are quote and I understand they vary by quite a lot.
Whether you want to take SS's advise or do the job yourself is up to you, you can either have the family do it or buy in care from an agency.
If you're there for the assessment all questions should relate to your mother's finances they shouldn't ask you about your circumstances, it has been known to happen.
K

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Ok, thanks for the information. Much appreciated. As Mum is self funding I would hope to continue with her own private carers. The information about the occupational therapist is useful, thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132