1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Worriedsick

Worriedsick Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Being 77 years old and disabled myself I have been caring for my wife for almost 7 years now.
    I have found having to do all housework, cooking, shopping etc is getting more and more difficult for me.
    When I approached the local Social Services for help and advice and had to sign a form giving them access to our financial details.
    What I would like to know is this normal in these cases?

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    There are certainly financial limits on who can access care free and who has to pay, Worriedsick. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/financial-assessment gives the full ins and outs of what will happen and why. I think the person from Social Services who assessed my partner only asked for recent bank statements and proof of income, but the rules may have changed.

3. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    So did they ask who you
    As Nae sporran says I thought they would just ask for statements,did you sign something giving details of names of banks and account numbers?

4. Midow

Midow Registered User

Jun 13, 2017
    Wales
    Our LA asked for bank account details, not statements. You only need to give details of accounts in your wife's name, Worriedsick.

5. witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Hi,do you remember if it took a long time between checking finances and then making their contribution towards care costs

6. Midow

Midow Registered User

Jun 13, 2017
    Wales
    I believe it took around 6 weeks. Our social worker spoke with the Finance Department to chivvy them along.

7. witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Thanks,that's not too long,I suppose they do it this way so they can speak to the bank directly and see if they are being told about all the bank accounts that a care user might have

8. Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
    I thank all of you for your help.
    I have been told by our welfare worker he cannot help us and closed our case for the second time.
    I have to get a private company in to help us.
    I am at present doing my best to get one in as my health has depreciated so much recently.

9. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I have help with housework from Age UK - it is cheaper than going to a care company. They will also do shopping, laundry and other household jobs. Find your local Age UK and ask them about accessing Help At Home.
    They will not do personal care, or help with medication, though, so if your wife needs this then that will have to be done through a care agency.

10. Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
    I will try this as it is only housework etc I need help with.
    Thank you.

11. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    AgeUK can also help you apply for attendance allowance if you don't already have it.

12. Bree

Bree Registered User

Oct 16, 2013
    I had a young lady in to help me with housework from Age UK five years ago, they charged me £12 an hour, she was paid just over the minimum wage. Now I have found my own home help, I pay her £10 an hour, she will also do basic health care tasks for my OH. If you can find private trustworthy help, do it.