Social services removing support in a care home.

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
My Uncle is 62 and has vascular dementia, he resides in a care home as it progressed so rapidly that he is unable to look after himself. Because of his age it was difficult to find a care home that would take him, but he went to a lovely one and despite an initial decline settled in well (He is S117 funded). This in part was due to the fact that social services quickly assigned a 12 hr 1:1 carer for him as he was a danger to other residents (who are mainly elderly). Due to having the 1:1 support the incidents stopped, and consequently social services have reduced the daily 1:1 care to 4 hours. The home say they cannot employ someone for 4 hours a day as they work in 12 hour shifts and questioned which 4 hour slot they would chose (an impossible decision). His 1:1 care stopped 2 weeks ago and since then there have been 6 incidents where he has either pushed or even punched the other residents. The home have told social services that unless his 1:1 care is reinstated they can no longer meet his needs (which is something they are not happy at having to have done), we fully understand the home's position but we really do not want him to be moved from there. But instead of assessing him and looking at reinstating his 1:1 care social services are sending other homes to assess him to see if they can meet his needs. If no-one can there is talk of re-sectioning him and sending him to a psychiatric hospital.
We are incredibly concerned about this and we are more than 200 miles away from him. Is there anything we can do to keep him at his current care home and push social services to give him the extra support?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
A managed need is still a need so obviously 1:1 should not have been removed

I’m afraid I think you have a, possibly eventually winnable, battle on your hands to get 1:1 re-instated

Can you get support from their consultant to come with you to fight your case ?

Ann Mac (so bizarre thread) has recently had the 1:1 “fiddled with” but with all ann’s guns blazing, so far, the chc manager has, for want of a better word, backed down from removing 1:1

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
His social worker is new and we have told her what a detrimental effect moving him will have but she’s very difficult to get hold of.

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
I think his community psychiatric nurse was at the meeting where they decided to withdraw his 1:1 support.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Beth,

I am so sorry that you are going through this - its an incredibly stressful and time consuming situation to deal with.

My Mil has always been a handful, from the very early stages of her dementia journey - she is plagued by delusions and hallucinations that resulted in her displaying some incredibly challenging behaviour, which went from her being very verbally abusive and non-complient, to actual physical violence. She went into an EMI nursing care home, because of the latter development, just over two years ago. She is also funded under 117 funding.

Around last Christmas, her challeninging behaviour really ramped up and there were numerous incidents involving her assaulting or attempting to assault staff and residents. Staff stepped in to try and protect the residents, and were left bruised from thumps, slaps and kicks, scratched and gouged, had objects thrown at them and 3 staff ended up with dislocated fingers, one with a broken wrist. After months of the home begging for support, Mil got a new consultant and we finally had a meeting with the Health Board, regarding Mil getting 1-1 support paid for by CHC. At this stage, she had also developed a condition called tardive dyskinesia, which is caused by the over use of anti-psychotic drugs.

The initial CHC assessor stated that she was in urgent need of 1-1 care, and thats what he recommended. However, in steps the HBM - the Health Board Manager (who I am not sure is even human) and she refused the care. At this stage we were so worried and stressed by Mils behaviour, fearing like you that she would end up in a psychiatric unit for the rest of her days - it was a definite possibility. So, I wrote to the relevant minister at the Welsh assembly and made it clear that I was holding them completely responsible should Mil be injured, or should she injure another resident. I also made it clear that I had very deliberately videod some of Mils behaviour, and whilst I would rather not do it, should the CHC board fail to respond appropriately to her care needs, I would put that out in the public domain.

Mil was in receipt of 1-1 care within 3 days. The home organised a multi-disciplinary meeting with consultant, social worker, care home nurse and manager, and all stated that Mil needed this care to ensure both her safety, the safety of others in the home and to meet her needs - and I asked them all to put that in writing, and for it to be placed prominantly in her care plan. 10 days after the 1-1 had been given, just a few days after the multi-diciplinary meeting, the HBM reduced Mils care by 2 hours a day. 2 days later I visited during the hours when the care had been removed and found Mil lying more or less naked on the floor of her room, with the door wide open, shouting for help - this despite the home having put her on 15 minute obs and having only checked her 14 minutes before.

I covered her up, but took photographs of her and sent one to the minister, making it very clear that unless the 1-1 care was re-instated immediately, I'd be going to the press. I pointed out that a managed need is still a need, that every professional involved with her care had stressed how essential the 1-1 care was and that the HBM had failed to follow the national guidelines as regards the withdrawing of 1-1. It was re-instated within 24 hours.

And thats how bolshy you sometimes need to be. Its horrendous, its unfair, its wrong on every level, but thats what it has taken so far to keep this level of very much essential care for Mil. Every time the HBM calls a review, I'm there and I repeat my assurances that should Mil's care be removed without the express agreement of all the multi-disciplinary team then I will go straight to the press. And as long as Mils consultant, the staff and the social worker tell me that this level of care is needed, then I'll continue to do this. I hate doing it, I never, ever want to make public the video and the images I took - but when faced with decision makers who think more of the purse strings than the person, then I've discovered that you have to fight them at their level - which means go in all guns blazing, shouting and screaming and using anything and everything you can as ammo.

Good luck - as I said, its a horrible situation to be in xxxx

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
Hi Ann, that’s just awful...

He was given the 1:1 care very quickly initially because of his behaviour, which has been towards other residents and not staff.
We’ve had a very long conversation with the nhs team and he has been assessed by a psychiatrist who says he needs 12 hour 1:1 care and there is a meeeing next week now... All of our concerns re moving him and the benefits of the 1:1 care has been recorded and corroborated so it’s wait and see what happens next week.
He was only diagnosed with vascular dementia 14 months ago, he has deteriorated so rapidly.