Social services refuse to admit senile relative to a home, family driven to despair.

Steve660

May 19, 2015
I visited mum and aunt this weekend. Both have been advised by their GP and their solicitor that if they antagonise social services then social services can indeed “take over” and dictate what happens with uncle. That includes entry to the house. As for respite care, uncle has always been taken there and back by taxi. Nor will mum or aunt just dump him – he is their brother after all. They are seeking a psychiatric assessment to counter the latest claim by social services that uncle is able to make his own decisions, but I am not sure if it will help much. I live over 140 miles away so cannot be around to help, or get involved.

cerridwen

Dec 29, 2012
Gloucestershire
I am afraid it is an all too common tale - social services will not consider someone for placement in a home unless there is risk of severe harm to others or to the person. Severe harm is interpreted however they wish to interpret it and is based on the state of their finances and how much funding the person is likely to need from them. Adult social care in my authority is bankrupt so that people with dementia, like my Dad, are being left at risk. When the lawsuits against SS start flying in they will change their strategy.