Social Services Process

Suemmalf

Apr 27, 2015
Oxton, Wirral
Hi Everyone,

We have just started the Social Services process for a capacity assessment then a financial assessment. Our doctor has already deemed mum with no capacity and that alternative care should be a priority.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this process recently and know's how to go about it. Also how long the process takes?

Have a great day!
Sue

Muff

Apr 19, 2015
A year on

Dad has now been in care for a year. We were in your position last year. Everybody's journey is very different. My Dad has had Alzheimers for 9 years and Mum did a fantastic job until her sudden death 15 months ago. Mum had made fantastic plans. The power of attorney was prepared but needed registering in the court of protection. It took ages which started causing me problems as I had the house, bills and his care to sort out. I had to sort out all of Mums death and I was not the official next of kin, Dad was. He couldn't do it with the Alzheimer's not easy!
I think its a bit more difficult to get Power of Attorney if they have already lost capacity when you are applying. The Financial Assessment is also dependent on individuals circumstances. The internet and Charities like the Alzheimer's Society help line are wonderful to find out the rules etc.
Once your Mums full assessment is done and her needs are decided, care can be found. Good luck with everything.
We have just started the Social Services process for a capacity assessment then a financial assessment. Our doctor has already deemed mum with no capacity and that alternative care should be a priority.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this process recently and know's how to go about it. Also how long the process takes?

Have a great day!
Sue[/QUOTE]