Social Services or not?

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
If I know that we won't be eligible financially for anything (ie., assets over £23,500) is it worth getting a social worker/social services involved? I've read it's just a whole other level of stress but as my mum is deteriorating & I'm about to start cancer treatment I'm wondering if it would be worth having a number/social worker to ring if a crisis happened.

Opinions grateful.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If "a crisis happens" is there any other help, friends, family, whatever who will be willing/able to help out if not then the sooner the SS get involved the better, once they're aware of the circumstances they'll be more likely to be able to step in at short notice.
If it's a matter of the SS frittering away her money away then have you considered hiring in some home help privately. It's been covered on here before many times but if you can find someone to help out, take some of the load off you without involving them then it's an option.
I hope your treatment goes well, you deserve some sunshine in your life.
K

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Clareglen

Strictly speaking your Mum and yourself are entitled to assessments, whether mum is self funding or not.

mum for her needs. a financial assessment, of your mums finances only!! will be done unless you say mum is self funding, then what's likely to happen is what happened to us, you will be given a load of leaflets, which can be helpful, and the case will be closed, but at least they will know about mum.
i would ask for an emergency contact number

As I said earlier you are entitled to an assessment of your own needs as a carer, this should take into consideration your own health.

I know soscial workers get some bad press at times, but their are good ones out their.

Personally I would contact them

I hope your treatment for cancer goes well.

Last edited:

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
Many thanks both of you. I think if I were ill (as when I had my op) my husband and/or daughter would be able to pop in, although she needs more than 'popping in'. I know about the assessments we're entitled to but I know financially neither of us would qualify. She is going to daycare one day (a few hours) a week now so I could always use that same company who run a care home if things got bad. Self funding seems to keep things more simple & she is under the psychiatric dept now so we're awaiting brain scan appt so that might 'kick' things in.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I was dead against getting SS involved with my mum's care, Dad started to struggle with looking after her and, like you, I knew we would have to be self funding.
However, we went and had a carers assessment and although nothing useful came of that. long story, not entirely fault of SS, we were "in the system" and so when things got to crisis point we were able to get mum into respite very fast.
Then, to my enormous surprise, we were given an assessment for CHC funding, which again I said was a complete waste of time.
BUT Mum qualified for this totally 100%, and the care package we have is wonderful.
So go for it.