Social Services or is it Social care now

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Since I applied for direct payments,our care plans in place,forms filled in,bank account opened,I have heard nothing,not a word.
I telephoned our SW and was told she was no longer looking after us,and gave me another number to ring.
I telephoned and caused great confusion,which isn't difficult with SS.
They asked me the usual stupid questions and advised me that they could not find our records.
Some one would telephone us.
They didn't.
Today I rang again and was told that we had been transfered and we didn't have a named SW!!!!!!
Some one will telephone tomorrow?
I have met some strange happenings with SS but this takes the prize,I will report on progress.
My concern is for the people who are unable to understand, and unable to stand up for themselves,the ones alone without friends or relatives.
Is there any form of advocacy available for such people?Any advice we can offer?

Norman very :mad: :confused:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Norman

Sometimes it seems as if making a visit with a high calibre rifle might be the only way to sort these people out.

We saw this week a report on the Child Support Agenct, where they admitted to putting incorrect information on computer records to make their lives easier, and to deliberately losing records that were 'difficult'. All of that is really easy on the computer systems in common use these days, but it is not restricted to computer-based records.

Written records have always been open to manipulation, and if things are dificult, well just move the responsibility for the files to another office and lose them in transition; that'll fix it.

I have no idea how we can change their culture, though I'm sure there is some good practice around. If I were running the show, I'd find such examples, learn from them, and apply what they do to the others. I suspect it is a case of people, locality and resources, all pretty obvious things.

We see increasingly that the medical people really don't have much idea regarding the medical needs of dementia patients, so what hope do we have in SS having a clue of their other needs. :confused:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Grrrrrrrrr! Keep records of everything, copies of every letter, every phone call, who you spoke to, the time, date etc. etc. Then if you need this proof you already have it! Let them knowthat you are keeping a copy/recording the call etc. You'll be surprised how they can suddenly find things once you can send them a copy if they say they can't!! (Happened to us so I know it works!!) I know it shouldn't be like this, but as it is, it's all we can do to help ourselves and others. Love She. XX :mad:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Right Norm, I'm with you then, on the beaches, in the hills, all over this land, lets be at 'em! Thinking of you, will be with you in spirit, keep us posted, lotsaluv to you and Peg, She. XX

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
Hi Norman,
I hope you coped OK today ...... went in all guns blazing and shooting from the hip :)

....... and that they took notice, of course!

Elaine

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
No,as often happens when you are ready to do battle you meet the most charming lady and you just cannot rant.
They will ring me back I am told ,they haven't of course.
I have dicovered that this is happening a lot,promise to ring back and they don't.
I know 2 ladies who are meeting the manager over this problem,so we will see what happens next.I think their department needs a kick up the rear end.
More later,we will win I promise
Norman :confused:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Norm, love and hugs to you and Peg, chin up, day by day remember, the battle isn't over that easy you old sea dog you! Lotsaluv, She. XX

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Typical, huh? I think they do it on purpose ("Best send someone who is nice today because this one's about to blow") Or am I being paranoid?!! ;)

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Final report.
After 10 telephone calls I blew.
I advised that my next move was a letter to the Director of Social services.
I again got the "ring you back"which I refused to accept.
I have now been contacted by a very helpful lady who "found " our records which were lost,and the Direct Payment application wrongly completed by the last SW.
T he forms only need my signature and the job is done.
Again it is an example of who shouts the loudest,and that's not fair.
The moral of the saga is don't give up,be polite,dont accept excuses,then when you don't get anywhere,blow up.
A battle won
Regards
Norman ;)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh Norman, I don't even remember most os the posting. Bad week with Lionel. Just to say good on you. Stay with it. Admire your tenacty. Love Connie.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Last Friday afternoon I received 3 ,yes 3 telephone calls asking me for the missing details.
She then put the forms in the post,first class,with a stamped addressed envelope enclosed ,I returned them ,they were marked pay ASAP.!!!!
What would have been the outcome if I had not chased the issue?
Norman :p

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Quite!! Makes you so darn angry, this is happening all the time. It should be an election issue, "fairer to the carer". We don't have time for all this form filling etc as it is, when they then lose things so regularly, to me it says a lot is wrong with the system. Hope you get your money soon Norm, love She. XX