social services are trying to put my mother in a care home

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
Hello. Yes that is right. At the end of the week I will not have any care for my mum. I use a private care agency and a private carer, but neither of them can cover the four double handed calls seven days a week. I am looking to find another agency or agencies that can do this but am getting very worried. If Social Services couldn't find them what chance have I but I will start looking early tomorrow. My mother was not self funding. Social Services paid a small part of her care. But that is not the problem it is finding the care.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Hello. Yes that is right. At the end of the week I will not have any care for my mum. I use a private care agency and a private carer, but neither of them can cover the four double handed calls seven days a week. I am looking to find another agency or agencies that can do this but am getting very worried. If Social Services couldn't find them what chance have I but I will start looking early tomorrow. My mother was not self funding. Social Services paid a small part of her care. But that is not the problem it is finding the care.

We had a similar problem (in Northumberland) when we were looking for a second carer to help the 24 hour live-in carer with moving and handling and then again when we needed to provide cover for the 24 hour live-in carers 2 hour daily break...

In the end I waded through all the home care agencies in the area... (actually there were frighteningly few!) And, I got the LA to provide me with a list of all the agencies that they had on their books... I was also thinking about employing directly, but reluctant as it would mean setting myself up as an employer and doing all the wage stuff (or paying & providing all the info to an agency to do it - as well as having to sort out rotas, sick leave and holiday leave etc.)

My starting point was the list in the homecare.co.uk web site. Below is a link for the Kent agencies. You can filter down by area (at the top of the page):

https://www.homecare.co.uk/homecare/listings.cfm/searchcounty/Kent

Good luck...

rgds, Elizabeth.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013

My starting point would be the Care agency already being used, after all they are losing a contract, and may be looking to replace it.

Bod

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all - it would be 4 calls a day. I am just about to get phoning. I wouldn't use the care agency my mother is with at the moment because they reputedly cost £51K per year! I have used them privately a couple of times and there prices do seem above the norm and they are no better than any other agency used in the past.

The private agency I use is small and couldn't accommodate all the calls, they are a marginally less expensive but I don't think they could commit to regular double handed calls.

Thanks for the advice re the websites I am getting phoning now.

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
Sorry forgot to answer correctly call times would be:
one hour breakfast
1 hour breakfast
45 mins lunch
30 mins tea
30 mins bed time

I can adjust these accordingly - these were the social services timings - but I also use private care as stated for several other times during the day - but these are the timings I was hoping for one agency

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Just for a reference point for you on costs - in Northumberland...

When we started with carers at home for Mum & Dad back in November 2013, we were paying £11.50 per hour per carer.

Today we are paying £16.50 per hour per carer (Mon-Fri) and £18 per hour per carer (Sat & Sun) - double at Bank Holidays.

I just hope the actual carers have had a similar increase in their pay packets...

I've got my fingers crossed for you...

rgds, Elizabeth.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
We're paying £1000 per week (in Northumberland) for a live-in carer (no nursing qualifications) but Dementia trained...

She was looking after both Mum & Dad - but we've just had to employ a 2nd live-in carer (at the same weekly rate - ouch!)

So, possibly a 20% - 30% mark up on the hourly carer rates I quoted between the North and South?

rgds, Elizabeth

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
Thanks to all extremely helpful - my mum's care is all double handed so I would be paying double. Have got someone coming round this afternoon at least so am hopeful have phoned a few now but it is time consuming and some don't have capacity - care agencies are thin on the ground.

At this stage, as my mother lives with me, I don't want or need live in care.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Can I ask if 2 carers are absolutely essential? I assume it is for transfers. I think some hoists - maybe a ceiling mounted one can be operated be one carer.

I would echo flossielime's question about how essential 2 carers are for each visit. Of course I have no idea of the support your mother needs. It might however be useful to have a review from an Occupational Therapist to look at the equipment you have and whether this could be updated to make it easier for carers. I do hope you are able to work something out to meet the needs and wishes of you and your mother.

missmouse

Jan 19, 2012
Kent
thank you all for your help. I don't have the capacity or want live in care.

I am phoning around like mad but would like to thank you all for the help you have given. I will end this thread now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124