social/health funding

bagee

Jun 2, 2015
Hi all. Can anybody explain the difference between social. funding and health? Long story short, I needed a break from mum. Went to care home who failed her dreadfully. Brought her home again, had an emergency assessment done and been told the grant for mum yearly will £950 for carers! Had to set up direct payment etc and told I would have choice of mums carers. That,s not happened but ok with it but I nearly fainted at cost of sitters etc. Told I could leave her at home and keypad could be put outside and carers would call 3 times a day and that way I could sleep at my own home. Then to be granted £950 a year for care at home when it would be thousands in care I just don,t follow the reasoning. It won,t even cover the cost of the day centre yearly. Mum worked all her days bringing the family up alone and I just think she deserves more. Maybe I,m being naive but I,ve never had to deal with all this 'stuff' and my head is left spinning. Shocked at suggestion of leaving mum in alone, if she could cope she would be alone!! You,d be arrested for leaving a child or an animal unattended so why is it someone who has dementia who is vunerable is allowed to be locked in...... Rant Rant Rant. Maybe I,ll read this tomorrow to see if I,ve made sense. Hopefully someone will answer my rant. Thinking of all carers x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Only £950 a year, that's around £79 a month , it sure don't seem right to me. One agency here charges around £60 for 7 half hour visits per week.
Did they do a financial assessment on your Mum.

Others here have more experience than I with this, hopefully they will be along later today.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I'm assuming mum's stay in care home was a respite break, not intended to be permanent? There are often different funding arrangements depending on your LA policy for respite care.

Does your mum get Attendance Allowance and exemption from council tax? If not, both of these would help with the cost of daily care visits.

bagee

Jun 2, 2015
health/social funding

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Mum does have attendance allowance, she doesn,t pay rent or council tax. I did have someone from adult social care out and maybe a assessment of sorts but nothing about finances on mums behalf. When I think of it now it may well have been on me as I was stressed to hell with the respite that didn,t happen! The care home in question mis treated mum and I was gunning for them all, including the one from adult social care so maybe it was on me. Still she did quote the £950 and say the night sitters would not be an option for future reference. I can,t get my head round that it would cost £25,000 or more a year for her to be in care yet they don,t want to help if we are looking after our parents or husband/wife saving them money. Well I wait and see what comes next.Oh the home in question is having an assessment / review done and seemingly I will be informed of the outcome. Thanks again for replies and hopefully I,ll get good news for mum.
Hope you are all well x