Social Care Reform

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Does anyone know what the definition for ‘already in the care system is?’ My mum has dementia and is now living in sheltered accommodation. She is paying for all of her own care but does get Attendance Allowance. Does that mean she is in the system?
She’s in the early stages at the moment but We do anticipate that she might need a care home at some stage. We might try to wait until October 2023 if that means she would benefit from the cap but I can’t work out if she’s already in the care system or not. It’s all so confusing!
The cap is not any use. It only covers NURSING costs, not anything else.

As for who classes as “in the system”, you can bet by Oct 2023 it’ll be anyone getting any help at all at home or in a home. Anything to reduce the cost to the LA etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I don't think receipt of AA in itself would mean anybody is in the care system.
Nor do I think assessment of care needs would mean they are in the system.
Receipt of care as a result should put them in the system.

This leads to the upcoming problem of identifying and registering people self funding in a care home without having been formally assessed by the LA, several self funders do this.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
so private company receives £1500 a week from CCG funding for 24/7 EOL nursing care ✅
yet the same company charged £1750 a week 3 years ago for a room for the same person with capacity for respite care (?) to visit family, paid for privately while social care services at PWD home still being paid for … ⚠️

-openness of charging of fees required
-commission rates from bed bureaus disclosed
- breakdown of costs published per PWD & care meeting their needs

it wont ever happen - big companies making huge profits off those dying with dementia a terminal illness !

if all terminal illnesses were charged like this then I’d say it’s a fairer system; but to isolate one illness & discriminate needs independent investigations !

profit before people ?????

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
^^^^^^ Totally agree.

My OH has paid £46,000 in 2.5yrs for just 2hrs care per day it would be double as he needs a double up but I act as second carer. I don't mind him paying for his care in principle, but we are a captive audience. There is little alternative as all care companies in our region charge the same within £2ph.
I don't need enough hours to employ someone private, and if I did then I would need at least 3 to cover holidays. sickness or days off so 3 lots of pension contributions, sickness/holiday pay and NI. I've looked and looked for self employed carers but the nearest is 15 miles away and not interested in traveling for an hours work twice a day.
So OH is stuck paying what he does.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
^^^^^^ Totally agree.

My OH has paid £46,000 in 2.5yrs for just 2hrs care per day it would be double as he needs a double up but I act as second carer. I don't mind him paying for his care in principle, but we are a captive audience. There is little alternative as all care companies in our region charge the same within £2ph.
I don't need enough hours to employ someone private, and if I did then I would need at least 3 to cover holidays. sickness or days off so 3 lots of pension contributions, sickness/holiday pay and NI. I've looked and looked for self employed carers but the nearest is 15 miles away and not interested in traveling for an hours work twice a day.
So OH is stuck paying what he does.
It’s so wrong this whole system
(((hugs)))

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Paul Lewis Your Money, Radio Times Oct 2-8 has a good article explaining what the social care cap actually means. My only gripe is that he quotes a weekly fee of £750, whereas, in our area, that's more like £1250.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My only gripe is that he quotes a weekly fee of £750
The fee would not include daily living cost, it would be the fee for social care - help with dressing, feeding, personal care,....
Any nursing not provided by the community nursing service would be covered by funded nursing care.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
S
The fee would not include daily living cost, it would be the fee for social care - help with dressing, feeding, personal care,....
Any nursing not provided by the community nursing service would be covered by funded nursing care.
Sorry, didn't clarify - this was the amount quoted as a weekly care home fee, before any calculation for breakdown of hotel and care costs.
My point really was that this article explains , in simple terms, what the social care cap means in financial terms. And most people will still need to sell a property to fund care long before the £86k threshold is reached.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Surely, unless you have 86 grand (plus the 14G you're allowed to keep) in the bank, you'd have to sell your home anyway?

I'm pretty sure this is the case. Don't know if anyone else noticed but that phrase, 'No one should have to sell their house to pay for care!' that Boris was announcing proudly a few years ago was noticeably missing altogether from the new proposals. Obviously in the interim, someone has explained to him how the system actually works... :(

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Surely, unless you have 86 grand (plus the 14G you're allowed to keep) in the bank, you'd have to sell your home anyway?

I'm pretty sure this is the case. Don't know if anyone else noticed but that phrase, 'No one should have to sell their house to pay for care!' that Boris was announcing proudly a few years ago was noticeably missing altogether from the new proposals. Obviously in the interim, someone has explained to him how the system actually works... :(
This will be my situation @Jaded'n'faded, so I have made the executive decision to retire and spend the lot, unless I become considerably wealthy by then -the nephews and neices will have to go without any inheritance. Cheap cremation and the plot is already paid for (so is the funeral for that matter)

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
This will be my situation @Jaded'n'faded, so I have made the executive decision to retire and spend the lot, unless I become considerably wealthy by then -the nephews and neices will have to go without any inheritance. Cheap cremation and the plot is already paid for (so is the funeral for that matter)
I've always been a planner / saver, just as my parents were. It did them no good whatsoever, and I'm now very much subscribing to the spend, spend, spend mentality. Or at least I would be... if I actually had any money! Sod's law I'll end up living to a hale and hearty 100+ and rueing my spendthrift attitude.