Social Care Reform

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@wilko73 and I bet you have saved the nhs a shed load of money too as with better, regular care our loved ones are not in hospital as much as if they were in their own…certainly my mums visits to doctors/hospital reduced when she moved on with me!!
Yes I kept my dad safe for a year when I moved in with him, the hospital couldn't keep him safe for five minutes. 3 falls in 3 weeks, the cost of 3 days in A&E and 3 head scans must add up to a fair sum.

snollygoster7

Oct 7, 2016
Bedfordshire
"Paul lewis money" now saying meter starts Oct 2023:-

DHSC has now told me that the new rules will begin on 1 October 2023 and that anyone already in the adult care system at that time will have money spent from that date counted towards the cap and will be subject to the new asset means-test from that time.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
anyone already in the adult care system at that time will have money spent from that date counted towards the cap and will be subject to the new asset means-test from that time.

Cue chaos.

The LA have no idea how many currently self funding residents have assets between £23,250 and £100,000 and will become eligible for financial assistance overnight.

Some care homes will have the data because they enquire about capital before they accept self funders.
All care homes will see a large move from self funding to LA assisted with lower fee income.

This was one of the factors that applied the brakes last time round.

There are two years to get going on financial assessments using a system that currently is struggling.

snollygoster7

Oct 7, 2016
Bedfordshire
Cue chaos.

The LA have no idea how many currently self funding residents have assets between £23,250 and £100,000 and will become eligible for financial assistance overnight.

Some care homes will have the data because they enquire about capital before they accept self funders.
All care homes will see a large move from self funding to LA assisted with lower fee income.

This was one of the factors that applied the brakes last time round.

There are two years to get going on financial assessments using a system that currently is struggling.

How will this work anyway nitram? Speaking selfishly, my mum has self funded for over 4 years now and is paying £1200pw..the LA rate will be way lower so is it likely the govt will still say well the LA rate for care element is X so you can only claim that much even if you're paying more ?

She's fortunate to have assets but they're dwindling and she'll be one of the longest serving residents by Oct 2023 . Can they ask you to move homes ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The whole thing is a sham to be quite frank. After 3 years of knocking on MP's doors and writing and reading responses to that writing I am feeling done with it all and feel like chucking the towel in tbh. But, giving up now would be a mistake.

The current proposal to not address immediately social care and the issues the system is facing now, putting aside care fees is frankly unbelievable

Propping up the NHS with this new rise in NI is to me a realisation that they got things wrong, and yes we love our NHS, but it can't function unless we have an adequate social care system which is not not going to be able to help the NHS function if we are told how social care and the NHS will become more joined up. Its robbing Peter to pay Paul until Oct 2023 if what we are told becomes a reality. In the interim is a very long pause for social care. The NHS does amazing things, but so too does social care.

In 2019 I asked my MP to lobby the then Minister Caroline Dinenage, in closing her letter she wrote this:

Dementia is a major health and care challenge of our time, and we are working to improve care and support to make this the best country in the world to live with the condition'
As well as the broken promises of late, I don't see how the recent proposals will make any difference to dementia care

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Interesting, @Palerider, I wrote to my MP last December and the reply was we have given an extra xyz £billion into social care, we have done this and that (can't quote it as my PC crashed and I lost the email). However when I replied and said well I haven't seen anything different at the coal face I didn't get a response.

I emailed her again this morning telling her what a load of cods wallop the changes are that they won't make the slightest difference.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Interesting, @Palerider, I wrote to my MP last December and the reply was we have given an extra xyz £billion into social care, we have done this and that (can't quote it as my PC crashed and I lost the email). However when I replied and said well I haven't seen anything different at the coal face I didn't get a response.

I emailed her again this morning telling her what a load of cods wallop the changes are that they won't make the slightest difference.
I am afraid to say you are right in your summation

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
My concern in all this is that they are simply throwing money at a system (and I use the word very loosely) that is fundamentally flawed.
The NHS haemorrhages money. The waste is shocking, and the inability of hospitals / GP'S etc. , to communicate frankly beggars belief. And I have family and friends who work in NHS and feel exactly the same.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
How will this work anyway nitram? Speaking selfishly, my mum has self funded for over 4 years now and is paying £1200pw..the LA rate will be way lower so is it likely the govt will still say well the LA rate for care element is X so you can only claim that much even if you're paying more ?

She's fortunate to have assets but they're dwindling and she'll be one of the longest serving residents by Oct 2023 . Can they ask you to move homes ?
I suspect you are guessing correctly. I think when the new plans start, each LA will decide on a rate for the care element, which they will then pay to those eligible. But it is likely to be nowhere near the actual weekly cost the PWD is paying. Most people will probably still have to sell their houses as far as I can see, particularly if their cash savings are low.

This rate will probably be used to determine how much you've spent in total. It will be very interesting to see what this rate is determined as - guesses anyone? £200 per week? £300? More? If they set it at £300, by my calculations it would take about 5 and a half years to reach the £86,000. I believe most people in care homes die within 3 years. They will have paid a heck of a lot more than that for their care though.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I suspect you are guessing correctly. I think when the new plans start, each LA will decide on a rate for the care element, which they will then pay to those eligible. But it is likely to be nowhere near the actual weekly cost the PWD is paying. Most people will probably still have to sell their houses as far as I can see, particularly if their cash savings are low.

This rate will probably be used to determine how much you've spent in total. It will be very interesting to see what this rate is determined as - guesses anyone? £200 per week? £300? More? If they set it at £300, by my calculations it would take about 5 and a half years to reach the £86,000. I believe most people in care homes die within 3 years. They will have paid a heck of a lot more than that for their care though.

Where the concept of rent for accomodation has come from is the House of Lords Report, so care is paid for but occupation in a home is not considered in the care fees (in other words rent is extra) -it gets very messy and cost becomes more dispersed and also more complex to regulate. But its too late now to go back to that report as it stood because no one in any public authority ever really let the public know and of course it was not on the horizon in terms of policy because other things have dominated since that report. Its as if we have been hoodwinked and now the goverment can waive the HOuse of Lords report and point the finger somewhere else

Costs on that basis may well become more distrubited, but they will increase because now there is a state get out clause

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
One could be forgiven for thinking that all the government's recent policies and rules are designed to create chaos in health and social care.

Feeling unsupported

Jul 9, 2021
Part of my PhD proposal, I wanted to share this, written pre-reform 2021:
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your studies. My own recent MSc studies, have repeatedly advised that integrated/ holistic care is what is needed. My experiences with my PWD could not be more removed from this. Even the GP answer phone advises that only one symptom can be discussed at your appointment, what earthly use is this for a PWD? The community nurse visits and asks the carer, to ask me, to ask the GP to visit. The GP then visits when PWD is alone and cannot understand why he is there. However, that is how the GP practice operate and no rules can be bent for dementia patients. There is absolutely no joined up working or real understanding of the additional problems resulting from dementia.:mad:

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
As far as I can see they have ignored that.i look after my mother full time but she has to have four double handled care calls to change her pads as she is bedbound,care has cost her about £70,000 over the last 4 years.i will lose my home if mum ever has to enter a care home and I've lived here for 48 years from birth.
60 years old and its your only home, the home is disregarded

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your studies. My own recent MSc studies, have repeatedly advised that integrated/ holistic care is what is needed. My experiences with my PWD could not be more removed from this. Even the GP answer phone advises that only one symptom can be discussed at your appointment, what earthly use is this for a PWD? The community nurse visits and asks the carer, to ask me, to ask the GP to visit. The GP then visits when PWD is alone and cannot understand why he is there. However, that is how the GP practice operate and no rules can be bent for dementia patients. There is absolutely no joined up working or real understanding of the additional problems resulting from dementia.:mad:
Thanks

I couldn't post the more juicy stuff that followed because it would give away the project. But when I get round to finally writing it up I will publish the background as a seperate paper

Rebecca98765

Mar 10, 2021
Does anyone know what the definition for ‘already in the care system is?’ My mum has dementia and is now living in sheltered accommodation. She is paying for all of her own care but does get Attendance Allowance. Does that mean she is in the system?
She’s in the early stages at the moment but We do anticipate that she might need a care home at some stage. We might try to wait until October 2023 if that means she would benefit from the cap but I can’t work out if she’s already in the care system or not. It’s all so confusing!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Does anyone know what the definition for ‘already in the care system is?’ My mum has dementia and is now living in sheltered accommodation. She is paying for all of her own care but does get Attendance Allowance. Does that mean she is in the system?
She’s in the early stages at the moment but We do anticipate that she might need a care home at some stage. We might try to wait until October 2023 if that means she would benefit from the cap but I can’t work out if she’s already in the care system or not. It’s all so confusing!
I’m not sure exactly but I would say it would mean your mum has been assessed by social services. Others will be along with a more exact definition. It could take 3 years or so in a care home from 2023 before she would begin to benefit from the care cap. It is a bit of an illusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar