Social care or NHS Continuing Healthcare

Dolly Dimple

Aug 30, 2014
Hi everyone
Thank you for all the help I have found on the forum to date. I will try not to woffle too much! Mum has a heart condition and COPD. In the last 9 months she has been diagnosed with a combination of Altzhmrz and vascular dementia. In the last few weeks I have been in touch with Social Services to get some help (the deterioration seems rapid, we are no longer coping, we need help but I'm not sure in what form). Care assessments have begun in the form of "care visits" each morning to help with getting up and ablutions. I am told to expect a visit for social services regarding means assessment - what Mum will have to pay.
My searches have yet to find me a definitive answer regarding the difference between health and social care and I am wondering if any forum member has a solution. Also, I believe that the first two conditions may have contributed to development of the dementia but if this had not developed she would probably have needed care in relation to the COPD and heart condition as time went on. So, before the visit I have been promised, I would like to have it clear in my own mind whether I should be talking about CHC for her. She uses oxygen daily but not constantly.
Thanks in advance
Dolly

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
Hi, just been through CHC with my Mum. She passed initial assessment but I was already told she won't pass the final assessment, but they had to do it as a matter of course. My Mum has no memory, bed sores from when she was in hospital, asthma with peripheral pneumonia again when in hospital, bed ridden and doubly incontinent. Apparently the bar is set very high and only one in ten who pass first assessment go on to get full funding. Of course its all about money. In fact one person who did Mums assessment told me she's leaving soon because she's fed up with it all being about money and not what's in the best interests of the person.

Dolly Dimple

Aug 30, 2014
Thank you Sue, I thought it might be difficult. I will ask the question though and perhaps demand written confirmation of the reasons why Mum doesnt qualify- it might be interesting. Good luck and take care
Dolly

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
I hate that everything about this disease and SS seems to be about money, makes me really mad. It's stressful enough caring for someone with AD without the council torturing carers about care, when basically it's all about their budgets.

Last edited:

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
Hi, just been through CHC with my Mum. She passed initial assessment but I was already told she won't pass the final assessment, but they had to do it as a matter of course. My Mum has no memory, bed sores from when she was in hospital, asthma with peripheral pneumonia again when in hospital, bed ridden and doubly incontinent. Apparently the bar is set very high and only one in ten who pass first assessment go on to get full funding. Of course its all about money. In fact one person who did Mums assessment told me she's leaving soon because she's fed up with it all being about money and not what's in the best interests of the person.

Hi SueShell
Appeal!!!!! If one of the assessors told you that then you're already half way there.
You should get an outcome letter from your CCG telling you how to appeal.

M x

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Apparently the bar is set very high and only one in ten who pass first assessment go on to get full funding.

A health professional told me that being granted CHC funding depends on where you live! It would be interesting to know if this is true.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"A health professional told me that being granted CHC funding depends on where you live! It would be interesting to know if this is true."

If you google continuing heath care foi you will get individual results for various authorities and various years.

You will also find >>>THIS SPREADSHEET<<< which gives quarterly data for the four years from 2009-10 to 2012-13. It gives the both the number and the number/50000 receiving CHC for each PCT.