Social and social workers came

Peterac

Feb 9, 2004
Coventry
Had this visit yesterday which left me feeling something was missing psychiatrist seem keen to see the medication was working and the social worker seemed keen to close the case. Pressed the socail worker said Teresa whose name the house is in will have to sell the house to pay for her care if she went into a home. So I have to look after Teresa till it gets to much then be kicked out of my home of 20 years. There has to be a way of a least a way of having a monitor to events to make transition if is easier. The whole situation is very disturbing. They suggest I get power guardianship how big a thing is that? They did agree to write a letter explaining Teresa has AD. I have already had to explain to the hospital her distress was due to AD not due to anything else.

I watched Iris at the weekend about AD suffering of Iris Murdoch they had that child like quality Teresa has to perfectly right. It was a very telling phrase they used when they took into a home no smiles today. For the moment I can get those smiles out of Teresa but no idea how long for although at the present there appears a comprhension and acceptance of events like me going out.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Petarec, I'm so very sorry to hear of your situation. My mother had to sell her flat as she was unable to continue alone, some of this then went towards her care until she passed away. Unfortunately that is the way the system works. I can't really offer any solution, but Citizen's Advice may be able to advise you of your rights etc. Thinking of you, Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Peter,

I agree with Sheila. Do go to Cits Advice as soon as you possibly can. What a dreadful situation to find yourself in.

In order to set the wheels in motion for Power of Attorney, you need to contact the Court of Protection to obtain the necessary documents. I think you may be able to download these from the COP website, or Cits Advice may be able to assist.

Kind regards,

Jude

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
Hi Peter, get advice. You dont necessarily have to sell the home, it depends on your relationship to the sufferer. You may also have independant rights due to the length of your residence. You need independant advice. Also regarding power of attorney, check with a friendly solicitor if you have one, or the local Alz society - you dont necessarily have to go to court of protection at first, depends on your situation. Unfortunately the social services are budget driven, so they wont always be looking to your best interests. You will have to fight, question, educate yourself . .Take notes of your conversations with them (let them know you are doing this). Now I listen to what they say and then tell them I am going to go away and take advice before making a decision - its suprising how often they suddenly find another solution! Good luck

Chris

May 20, 2003
Info from Help the Aged

Hello Peterac - there may some info for you on the Help the Aged website , they have lots of information sheets & are up to date. As your situation may be unusual i'd say find a solicitor that specailsises in this area & get an introductory appointment - the first half hour should be free - then you can decide if you need to hire them - to sort out a will, & paying for care etc.

Here is an extract - this maybe relevant .

"The local authority may also ignore the value of the house if it is the permanent home of someone like a carer; they don't have to do this, but they can choose to. " See Below.,

Paying for a place in a care home

Local authority payment rules
Free nursing care in England and Wales
Free personal and nursing care in Scotland
Free nursing care in Northern Ireland
Giving away property and savings

Local authority payment rules

If your local authority has agreed that you need to move into a care home, then it is responsible for paying the fees directly to the home. You then have to pay the local authority back, making a contribution to the cost of your care. How much you have to pay is worked out according to these rules:

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland the savings limits usually go up every April.
The rates here are for the year from April 2004. The limits in each country are as follows:
Upper Limit England and Northern Ireland £20,000
Scotland £19,000
Wales £20,500
Lower Limit England and Northern Ireland £12,250
Scotland £11,750
Wales £13,500

If you have more than the upper limit in savings you will have to pay full fees for the care home. If you own your own home, its value will usually be counted as 'capital' if you remain in care as a permanent resident. This usually means that you will be expected to sell it to pay the fees. If you don't wish to sell your house the local authority can allow you to make deferred payments by giving you an interest-free loan which is claimed back when your property is eventually sold. In Northern Ireland the local health and social services trust is not obliged to do this but can use its discretion.
For the first 12 weeks in care the value of your home will be disregarded from the means test.
There are some circumstances when you will not have to sell your house. If your husband or wife (or unmarried partner) lives in the house then its value will be ignored when your income is assessed. Similarly, if a close relative over the age of 60 or under the age of 16, or a relative under the age of 60 who is 'incapacitated' needs to go on living there, then again the value of the house will not be counted. The local authority may also ignore the value of the house if it is the permanent home of someone like a carer; they don't have to do this, but they can choose to.
If you have less than the upper limit in savings, or when your savings drop to this level, then your income and what savings you do have, will be taken into account to work out how much you will pay towards the home fees. Savings below the lower limit are ignored altogether, while savings between the lower and upper limits are converted into a weekly income using a simple formula.
Your income is worked out by calculating what money you have coming in each week. This includes the income from your savings, any pension you receive, whether State Retirement Pension or an occupational or personal pension, and any income from state benefits, such as Pension Credit. If you are living in a care home and your income is low, you may be able to claim Pension Credit. This will then go towards home fees.
Your local authority will want to make sure that you are claiming all the state benefits that you are entitled to. This is because they will take this money into account when working out your contribution. When deciding how much you have to pay towards the fees, the local authority must always leave you with some money to spend as you wish each week - a personal expenses allowance. (The Government decides how much this will be each April.) Any income you have over this level will go to the local authority to cover your care costs, up to the full amount of the fees.
The local authority should tell you how it has worked out how much you will pay. Ask for this information in writing. Make sure you understand exactly what is included in the fees and know what you will have to pay for yourself. For example, will you have to pay for toiletries, phone calls, outings or clothing from your personal expenses allowance, or are any of these things included in the fees?

^top

NHS funded nursing care in England and Wales

If the local authority assesses you as needing nursing care, the NHS will pay an amount directly to the care home towards the cost of your nursing care. (If the local authority does not assess you as needing nursing care this scheme will not apply to you.)

If you pay your own fees this should mean that you see a reduction in how much you have to pay. This is because the NHS will pay an amount towards your nursing care, direct to the care home.
If most of your fees are paid by the local authority then the NHS will still contribute towards the cost of your nursing care, but the amount you pay will not be affected.
If you pay part of your fees and the local authority pays part of your fees, you may get a reduction.
The amount the NHS contributes depends on which band of nursing care you need. This is decided in an assessment carried out by an NHS nurse, arranged by the local authority.

If you disagree with the level of nursing care that you have been assessed as needing you should ask the nursing home co-ordinator for a review of your case. The nursing home co-ordinator (care home co-ordinator in Wales) is based at the Primary Care Trust (health board in Wales) and is responsible for the nurses who carry out the assessments. If you are still dissatisfied you can ask to be referred to the strategic health authority (health authority in Wales) for a further review.

In England:

If you are assessed as being in the highest band your care home will receive £125 per week from the NHS towards your fees.
If you are assessed as being in the middle band your care home will receive £77.50 per week from the NHS towards your fees.
If you are assessed as being in the low band your care home will receive at least £40 per week from the NHS towards your fees. In some cases, the NHS may provide nursing care direct or pay more than £40.
In Wales:

Your care home will receive a flat rate of £105 per week towards your fees.
For more detailed advice on how these financial arrangements work, see our sections on, paying for residential care and, paying for residential care: problems with local authority funding. If you would like some advice on your

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to type all of this very userful information. Do you think you can copy it over on to our Resources thread? I feel this is something that we should keep for future reference. [If not, then I'll ask Craig to help out. I'm hopepless at copying stuff.]

Best wishes,

Jude

Chris

May 20, 2003
hi Jude - Cut and Paste I can do - anything else - no chance !! Have added info to Resources.

I'm wondering if in time we may need to reorganise RESOURCES a bit as the list may get too long. AD etc touches on every part of life & this may be reflected in the list of topics soon . We need folders within folders somehow - not sure if that can be done on a Forum like this.

Does this make sense - help from Nada ! perhaps.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Chris,

I do take your point. There is so much new information coming along every day and some is too precious to lose. I often find myself knowing that I've read some pertinent information here somewhere - but just can't recall which thread it was on.

It may be possible to arrange Resources in alphabetical order or in subject and sub groups and to do it now rather than later would save a whole lot of work. I will ask Nada and the other Hosts what they think.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705