So what's new

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hello you special people. It was hard work showering my wife Jean this morning, then I could not take her shopping with me as I was afraid of making things worse having to lift her in and out of the car. The problem was I tripped when out running on Monday morning, I stumbled and fell on my left ribcage cracking one. As luck would have it, it's bank holiday. Try finding help, the usual answering machines. Finally I got the duty Doctor who suggested I take Paracetamol and 400MG Ibuprofen and should the pain persist, get back to him and at worst he would visit(his words). I'd explained my wife's condition, unable to move or speak & I was a sole carer. Luckly my wife was asleep, off I went to the nearest chemist almost a mile away, it was closed. Phoned our daughter, I went to A&E waited around 2 hours, told ribs and muscels damaged! Back home, daughter gave me 200MG Ibuprofen. Next day managed to arrange appointment 13.30 hrs after a lot of phoning and explaining that I was a sole carer. At last to-day, I got the 400MG tablets. It's 3yrs and 5months since I removed my wife from a NH we appear to be out of sight as well as mind. My breathing hurts for now but I know I'll be back running soon. I just laugh at it all, for I'm sure many of the medical people and thoes who run the country don't think they may become old and get AD. I'm just happy I have a wife to love and care for as we inch our way towards our 51st wedding ann, on the 24 Sep. how lucky can you get? God bless you special people. Padraig

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I think you are the special person. So sorry about your cracked ribs - very painful - and not good when you have someone dependent on you. Take care of yourself Best wishes Beckyjan

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello padraig,

sorry to hear of your fall hope you get better soon, i agree with beckyjan you are a special person, may you both have a wonderfull anniversary on the 24th september.
take care x

Tressa

May 18, 2004
N. Ireland
Hello Padraig,

I read your postings in amazement and just wanted to say get well soon and try and remember to look after yourself. I am sure your wife would not want your health to suffer. I wish i had a fraction of your courage.

Take Care,

Tressa.

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Special?

Hello you very special people. Special, is hardly a word to discribe me,my wife used to say: "You'er strange" That I agree with, but and can never shake it off. Lone stray bests describes me, the anology of a stray abused dog, let lose to fend for it's self. Released from Inistitutions at aged 16 after years of abuse, and knowing nothing of the outside world, I came to England and joined the forces at 17. When one of the men noticed I didn't have a home, I accepted an invite to his home in Durham, the first time I had been in a family envoironment. I met my wife at a dance she was 18 and I 21. Three years later we were married. Although we had nothing I promised her we would have a large house in the country one day. Twentry-three years later when showing her a six bedroom house I bought she asked: "Why do we need such a big place there's just two of us?" Our oldest daughter had married our youngest was killed and our son had moved on. I told her it was for our grand children. "But we don't have any." I said we would and there's the land for them to play. We had 9 in all and some now have their own children. We lived 25 years there in our own world. Sadly I had to sell it and move Jean to a smaller place. With time to look back I still find the world a very strange place and I must be a very strange person to have managed to represent my country at sport, without a formal education end up teaching in the forces, reaching upper management with an American firm and retiring at 54. Life's been very good to me and best of all I found a very SPECIAL girl who inspired me with her gentle ways. Now I am privileged to lovingly care for her.
When I asked to see the Doctor at the NH about the medication for my wife. Because I was spending 8hrs a day with her he remarked: " I think you are doing a wonderful job with your wife" I answered "No I'm not." "Why do you say that?" Without thinking I shot back "Don't dogs look after their pups?"
Passing down the TP road is a very moving and interesting one for me, so much love and hurt. Try to look on the bright side of life. God bless. Padraig

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Padraig,
By crikey you are a live one aren't you. Good on ya!!! I hope you are feeling a bit better and with a constitution like yours I think you will heal pretty quickly!
Wow 51st wedding Anniversary you say! Wonderful. My wedding anniversary is also 24th Sept - however I am 49 yrs behind you! Gosh!
All the very best to you both.
X

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Padraig
your post took me back a few years when Peg and I went on a belated honeymoon.
We went to Devon to Stoke Gabrial.
There is a wishing tree there and to be granted three wishes the lady has to run round the three time backwards.
Peg ran round the tree ,wished for a big house,a nice big car and a baby.
She got them all but in reverse order!!!!!.
Happy days
Norman

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Back on the run

How I wish I could share the good feeling I have to-day. Gromit, you were so right I went out running this mornig in singlet and shorts in spite of the rain. After 4 days without a run I was too restless. The pain has almost gone, hope to get back with exersises and be able to lift Jean into the car. I like fighting mind games like 'it's raining and your tired' or 'go for it'. When I'm told 'no' I try 'YES'. 8 years ago I damaged my back, had an MRI scan was told operation needed. It effected one leg. The wait was too long, I worked at strengting the back. I was then told: no operation but spinal injection, again wait more work by me. Arrived for injection, asked about pain, no pain no injection. They said I would never run again! Looking at Jean's medical diary (long since closed) there's an entry on the 3/7/03 Macmillan Nurse appointment arranged. They were expecting her to die, a Jane Fullbrook arrived (I still have her card) she didn't stay long I expect she never met someone like me before! I'm still a very determined single-minded dog, anyway life's great fun pushing the boundries. Best wishes to all you lovley people. Padraig

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Padraig, you are amazing!
Are you on some secret 'stuff' you could share with us all, or is it just your positive attitude that keeps you going?;)
Keep enjoying yourself!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nutty
Padraig is from the same school as me.
We were born with a built in survival gene and possess honours degrees from the university of life.
So much of his life is similar to mine,I was in a sea school at 14 years of age away to sea at 15.
Previous to that father died when I was a year old and I survived and outlived a step father.
Best part of my life was from when I met my Peg.
I am detrmined to survive now to look after her and reach our 60th in 2007.
What then? we must wait and see.

Norman

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Padraig and Norman
Oh how you remind me of my beloved dad!
He too was a survivor and he was so devoted to my mum......and to his children and grandchildren....
I realise I make light of my situation with mum and he perhaps wouldn't approve but I am determined to care for mum for as long as I can....just as he would have done.......
I have the utmost admiration for you :)
Love x

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
A different world

Nutty Nan, I live in a different world as our daughter always tell me. I think she is learning it's a better one. One where I'll not be told what is right or wrong, but I observe and learn. I smile as I look around, everyone is telling us what to buy, how to look, think and what to believe in through the TV, radio, papers and our leaders. I look and learn and take control of my own life. I pick the fruit of lifes orchard it's free, just like the large orchard at our dream home was. I invited people to pick apples, pears, plumbs etc free, they thought there was a catch. When asked why free? my reply was: Would I charge you for the blackberries in the hedgerow, and I have enough to live on. I said I was strange.
Two weeks ago out shopping I bumped into an ex fellow Instructer and his wife. He was telling her how I was known as the Song and Dance Man due to the methods I used to get the message accross. I would never 'tell' students, rather make them use their God given brain. No hands up in my class, I asked the questions, answers right or wrong we worked them out. I learned more from mistakes in the past, that is why I want to show what has worked for us when caring for my wife, only you know what works for you. God bless Padraig