So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
This crazy weather is causing real distress for Pauline and this morning was a good example as temperature is lower but not down to a level to activate central heating which is still switched. No comment was made until after breakfast when she mentioned it being cold then left the room and came back with her tartan blanket placed it over knees then burst into tears and crying about being freezing. No option but to turn up the thermostat as no reasoning about temperatures and just trying to not imaging the pounds and pennies piling up in the meter cupboard ☹️

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@Agzy - might an electric blanket be a cheaper option? Over her knees like a tartan rug? Seem to remember these cost less to run.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I had a fleece type one that could (once disconnected) go in the washing machine. I think you can also get heat up sock/shoe things and oversized fur lined tops for indoor lounging. I have a feeling that money saving expert Martyn Lewis reommended electric blankets as a cost effective heating solution - not that we should have to, but there you are.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I had a fleece type one that could (once disconnected) go in the washing machine. I think you can also get heat up sock/shoe things and oversized fur lined tops for indoor lounging. I have a feeling that money saving expert Martyn Lewis reommended electric blankets as a cost effective heating solution - not that we should have to, but there you are.
Thank you, this could be a peace bringer ?

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@Agzy - I hope it is useful. Electric blankets and heated clothing have improved a lot. I also have a small padded hot water bottle like @canary mentions, and that is good for hands.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
We use wheat bags that warm up in the microwave, and throws, OH has also managed to work out how to warm up in the microwave- just guesses how long, but seems to work - He can’t pour water from a kettle so gives him a bit of independence.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a bit of a fraught weekend today started as I think it did for almost all the UK with rain or showers and for us it was showers, often and heavy. Notwithstanding the showers Pauline still wanted to have our morning walk but it was too wet and so we chanced it this afternoon and it was magical. Most of the pavements are tarmac here and so gathers lots of puddles and about half way round she said her shoes were dirty from the wet floor and then started taking ‘baby steps’ through each one to clean them as she put it. She ended up laughing and giggling even shoes not waterproof and so innocent it all was. Puts things in perspective really x

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Having been nagged about buying her a dog and, having read various posts I sent off for a ‘robotic’ dog that cost a lot of money and it arrived just before tea last night and oh dear!
At first she was amused by it’s movement and barking but then picked it to find it was most certainly not a cuddly creature but has a very hard shell under its fur and is also rather heavy. Half an hour later decision taken and it will be returned today and promised her no more surprises , such is life.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@Agzy - it is hard with those kind of decisions. I bought my Mum a heat-up Bagpuss - like a wheat bag you put in the microwave. I think the care home staff worried about the heating bit and Mummy wasn't that interested. It disapeared very quickly. Maybe a hot water bottle made to look like a cuddly toy?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@Agzy - it is hard with those kind of decisions. I bought my Mum a heat-up Bagpuss - like a wheat bag you put in the microwave. I think the care home staff worried about the heating bit and Mummy wasn't that interested. It disapeared very quickly. Maybe a hot water bottle made to look like a cuddly toy?
Will give it a looksee, thank you

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As a sponsor/supporter of the local community charity that had organised a massive ‘Party in the park,’ and as Pauline preferred watching TV I just had to go there on Thursday and had a brilliant hour and a half in the park then down to my local which was also having a Jubilee party but left after an hour promising to return for the evening. Best laid plans and all that!
No sooner through the front door and met with hysterics and what I can only describe as rage, absolute rage. Apparently I had been out all day and hadn’t even spoken to her and left her lonely and she just wouldn’t be comforted. Eventually about 6 o'clock and after tea she fell asleep in her chair but kept twitching and waking herself up so I got her to bed at 7 where she went straight off.
Next morning and for the first time ever, she stayed in bed sleeping for a total of 16 hours before coming down stairs in her nighty and dressing gown and she was totally confused and shaking and in between just sitting staring into space as if in a dream.
Her son, Jimmy, called in again and was so shocked and upset as when he left her the day before when it seems he called in, she was fine. So, no shower, very little to eat and back to bed at seven o’clock again and, this morning, other than feeling tired and continually dozing off, she is pretty normal or what passes for it.
I think or sense that there has been a mental shift and possible permanent change in her condition quite literally overnight. No sign of UTI and temperature normal so no symptoms that would lead to sending for the doctor but I am so worried.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Oh Agzy so sorry, don’t give up hope that things will go back to nearer what they were though - a few times my OH has had a ‘3 year old tantrum/upset’ it has taken him days to get over, similar behaviour to what you are describing, but each time he has improved to almost the way he was before the episode, Sending you hugs and wishes that Pauline returns to more her normal self.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to hear this @Agzy. So worrying and distressing. I hope that things settle down for Pauline now. If you are still worried I would see if the doctor would check her over. My mum used to seem to decline overnight but she had Vascular Dementia and was subject to TIAs which always left her a little worse than before.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh Agzy so sorry, don’t give up hope that things will go back to nearer what they were though - a few times my OH has had a ‘3 year old tantrum/upset’ it has taken him days to get over, similar behaviour to what you are describing, but each time he has improved to almost the way he was before the episode, Sending you hugs and wishes that Pauline returns to more her normal self.
Thank you x