So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
There is a TV advert for something Bosch at the moment that has catchy words and tune and when it comes on for a while after Pauline almost deafens me chanting it, “Like a Bosch!”

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Whilst the deterioration in memory retention has been obvious for some time now in the past 48 hours or so retention has seriously declined. She went on her walk this morning and then I went on mine and when I returned (15mins) she didnt know where I had been and couldnt recall going on a walk herself then later when we walked together she repeatedly asked if we had walked already and once home asked when we were going for our walk. Not much by the standards of others on this journey I know but decline has been so steady this sudden change threw me a bit.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
This morning we had an 08.50 appointment for her Flu jab at her GP surgery and, although car park was crowded, I managed to park opposite the main door and so watched enter along with many others. Given we were early I checked emails on my phone and when I looked up there she was, very distraught, frantically looking around clearly lost and I felt so guilty as I collected her and settled her into the car even though it was still way before her appointed time. Lesson learned to stay with her. l?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
These are hard lessons @Agzy.

It sounds as if Pauline has been doing so well it must be a shock to experience what looks like a downturn.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
24 hours since she was inoculated and it has been hell. Constant complaints about the pain but more worrying was it seemed to make her pretty poorly and so angry and depressed invariably culminating in the desire to be dead and threats to kill her self. She was in bed before 7pm last night and seemed to sleep well but has slept solid in her armchair for nearly 2 hours since getting up so presume last nights was not good sleep. Hope her moods are better when she awakes.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I had the flu jab and a pneumonia one as well a couple of weeks ago. I felt pretty rough for a couple of days so I can imagine that for someone with dementia that can't quite work out what has happened it could feel worse.
I hope Pauline perks up soon, but if not is it worth calling 111?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yesterday was an absolute turnaround and other than a slightly sore arm she was back to what passes as normal at present which can best be called ‘Perky.’ Her mood was light and we had three walks all around her circuit which she knows so well now and throughout she was in a good mood the only exception albeit briefly was about my forthcoming holiday/respite. Here she gets angry and accuses me of leaving her while also bragging about how she can look after herself and doesn’t need me All basically glossed over by me and soon forgotten or at least taken off the conversation list.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Since getting the walking bug Pauline has steadily lost weight although she didnt seem to notice unti the practice nurse told her at annual MOT and so I pointed it out to her that her clothes arn’t fitting too well. No real problems as she is no fashion icon but then she asked me to take her down town this morning to buy some new bra’s and that proved a lively trip. We traipsed the few shops that did sell ladies underwear and 80% of those on display were padded which she is not interested in and the rest she forcefully rejected and wanted me to take her to Liverpool but I was at the end of my tether by then so took her to Birkenhead market instead which is the throes of revamping/rebuilding and most stalls have gone. The socks and bra man was still there thankfully and sorted her out very quickly and only £6 each so peace again reigns and I can get on with finishing online booking and last minute packing for next weeks cruise.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Well that went well, very well indeed. Thanks to her eldest son, Jimmy who refused to accept that his mum had dementia until about 18 months ago, she was well cared for as he called in at least once a day And also took her out. For my part I phoned daily and worried constantly but also enjoyed the cruise in particular villages of Santorini and best of all managing to climb the Acropolis and share all that history. She says she missed me but didn't need me although I am told that. While the first may be true the second hides some confusions and toilet incidents. As for me it strengthened my feelings for her even more.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Well that went well, very well indeed. Thanks to her eldest son, Jimmy who refused to accept that his mum had dementia until about 18 months ago, she was well cared for as he called in at least once a day And also took her out. For my part I phoned daily and worried constantly but also enjoyed the cruise in particular villages of Santorini and best of all managing to climb the Acropolis and share all that history. She says she missed me but didn't need me although I am told that. While the first may be true the second hides some confusions and toilet incidents. As for me it strengthened my feelings for her even more.
glad you had a good trip and enjoyed yourself. its good that pauline was well looked after so if you go again, you will be less worried

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I got home on Friday night and from then everything was amazing until yesterday and BOOM, back to reality = UTI, toilet issue/accident, cleaning up and washing machine tender, antibiotic collector, almost out of depth carer as she has mental meltdown and handholding/cuddling lover. Home sweet home ?