So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I like the Ahlbergs, lot of good books. One of my son's favourite's when a small child was Cockatoos by Quentin Blake. It's about a lot of cockatoos who get exasperated by their owner and hide from him. My husband used to read it to our son, saying 'there are no cockatoos on this page' and our son would be going 'oh yes there are.' The phrase 'How are you this morning my fine-feathered friend?' also became a family greeting.
So glad Pauline is enjoying the book, @Agzy.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I used to save books like these for when, as a headteacher, I had to cover someone’s Primary 1 (5yr olds) class of an afternoon!?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
that was a good book. i liked "peace at last" about an elephant trying to get a bit of peace from the children and manages it in the bath. i could empathize!! they liked "funny bones" as it rhymed and" we are going on a bear hunt" all the kids used to say it with me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I liked the Mog books by Judith Kerr.
I used to read them to my kids when they were little.
And then, later on, I read them to mum.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I loved "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. The line " And the wild things said, dont go, don't go. We will eat you up, we love you so", is just lovely. In my Mum's later dementia stages, we used to read it aloud together. By that stage she had no concept of it being a children's book, she just enjoyed the words.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We acted out Bear Hunt at my special needs school.

We `had to go through it` between the rows of children on chairs in assembly. It was better than any `language` lesson.

I have lovely memories of one child, enjoying every minute while saying `I`m not scared!`.

All these books bring back some lovely memories.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't remember the Mog books from my childhood but did read them to my children a lot, as did my mum.

She really enjoyed them then so I think she would enjoy them if I read them with her - she's too deaf to hear but would enjoy reading it I think.

@Agzy my mum enjoyed crosswords and sudoku and then wordsearches for a long time in her dementia journey, and I bought her children's puzzle books which she did. Not living with her and running round like a headless chicken most of the time I could only work out what she was doing by seeing what she'd filled in and then trying to get something else. No good asking as she couldn't remember.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I borrowed the last Mog book Goodbye Mog when it first came out and read it to my husband and then fifteen year old son. All three of us were in tears by the end of it. I can also recommend the frog and toad stories by Arnold Lobel. Profound stories with a very simple vocabulary . By now you might have twigged that I used to be a children’e librarian.
Hope you are having a good few days @Agzy

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@Agzy It's so rewarding when you find something that makes your pwd happy, especially when you've tried lots of things before and they've all been a failure. Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to see a happy post on here! ??

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
What a wonderful happy memory filled collection of responses! I will certainly explore some of the stories and etc mentioned and hopefully give Pauline more to like and find interest in. ?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
that was a good book. i liked "peace at last" about an elephant trying to get a bit of peace from the children and manages it in the bath. i could empathize!! they liked "funny bones" as it rhymed and" we are going on a bear hunt" all the kids used to say it with me.
My grandchildren (and me) loved We’re all going on a bear hunt, I found and bought a book “we’re all going on a beer hunt “, for their Mum one Xmas, my stepson couldn’t ‘get it’ at all, but my daughter in law really laughed. ?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The beautiful book is laid aside at present as Pauline is a bit down in the mouth. Her eldest son can’t visit as the council housing association is fitting a new bathroom for him and as his wife works it falls to him to be there. His younger brother, who has just returned from 2 weeks holiday, has a chest infection so he too can’t visit and it all seems to have affected her disproportionately as the younger rarely visits and elder calls in maybe 2 or 3 times a week But not for long. Whether connected or not her constantly thumb twiddling is at epidemic proportions and her constant skin rubbing has now caused sores on both her left ear and her chin. No amount of gentle chiding or casual mentioning can detract her from any of it. While I presume it is all part of brain changes I am not sure if it is important in the scheme of things.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Not a good afternoon for sure thanks to ITV! Yesterday with all the politics messing up schedules ITV3 showed horse racing instead of Corrie which was trauma enough but today they showed Emmerdale in Corrie slots and Pauline inconsolable and trying to explain why her TV mag is right and is not at fault but schedulers was impossible. Eventually it is now showing instead of Misummer Murders but how to explain that when looks at Midsommer as it shows on her recordings it is Corrie - even I am confused ?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
What really winds me up is he falls asleep while ‘his’ programme is on, and I’m stuck with it - the minute I change it, turn volume down, mute or switch off he wakes up.