So True,,,,when you've seen one Alzheimer patient, you've seen one Alzheimer patient

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Well, today has been one of those days that just don't make any sense. Moms day has been up and down. She started out catatonic. Lord, he helps me so much when this happens. Had to use ice water to get her to drink or she would just let it dribble out of her mouth. The fluid in her bag (she has a foley catheter) was almost the color of cola. Call the RN, request her bring out a speciman cup so she can culture it. Nurse gets here, is concerned also, but realizes that since mom just finished off a round of antibiotics it will not help to culture must wait at least 3 days. Mom is on Plavix and aspirin for bloods clots. Nurse calls dr. reports what is going on. Nurse and I both feel she may be bleeding out from the plavix ( a nasty side effect). Waiting for Dr. to return call. In the meantime fluid in tube becomes clear as it should be. This lastts for 2 hours. Fluid has red tinge again. ????? And would you believe in the midst of all this she has begun to speak more. Tho they are one worded sentences mostly I cannot count that high on fingers and toes. When I asked a question of her and answered it myself she corrected me to NO--(she didn't want more watter at that time)

I've thrown the stages out the door and am now living day by day ...but I am also saying that I think I believe very much so that even an AD patient who has had severe strokes may be rehabilitated a little. Either that or my faith is carrying me alot these days. I asked her if she was in pain she said no. Question is did she know what I meant....I think she did at that point.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I asked her if she was in pain she said no. Question is did she know what I meant....I think she did at that point.

I know what you mean every one is so different , my mother has pain with her arthritis in her knees they very swollen , but tell me the pain in the side of her leg . keep taping on the side of her leg where she said the pain is

I want the doctor to come out to check her over , to give her some medication for the arthritis, but she says its OK its not hurting her now, I don't want to see the doctor , but then she cry out in pain calling my name over , over , with her eyes closed & me standing in fount of her , but no see won't see doctor dose not want him to check her over.

So Nurse told me to phone doctor , to see if they give me some medication without seeing doctor. My mother will hold on to the pain put up with it , rather then see the doctor .

Wishing your mother all the best xx

Last edited:

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
pills and bleeding

Dad was on Plavix and aspirin for a while but kept getting terrible distressing nose bleeds. As both pills do similar things the aspirin was stopped and nose bleeds reduced. Also when he was changed from Lipostat to Lipotor (still with Plavix)the nose bleeds came regular as clockwork again and stopped when we went back to Lipostat. The nosebleeds distress him so much - he sometimes feels he will bleed to death - that we get the pills changed if possible

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
I understand where you are coming from....mom would be distressed with a nose bleed several months back. They just don't quite grasp what can be important and what is not.

Her Urine has returned to normal and is back to the sparse amount I feel she should be doing, but then I have to realize too that mom puts up a fight about drinking anything. She will stay on plavix and aspirin and we will watch to see if this happens again. She needs some sort of blood thinner to keep her from clotting badly and she needs it also for the thinning effect since we already know she has dvt's.

The nursing group that see her would like me to change her over to hospice and I feel I should but at the same time sometimes I think she will outlast me.

I feel so bad for her...yesterday was a very good day and she actually recognized people in a family album. People she had long ago ceased to remember, but when she see's my dad she just clams up and stares into space. Dad was killed in an accident on 9-11-91 (that day holds no good memories for my family). After about 3 yrs she quit talking of him and would in a moment say she missed him and then go on with whatever. I think now he is with her and for some reason she cannot let go of either side and it is hurting her. I would swear there are times I can smell him in her room. (He never set foot in this house.)

Anyways just thought I would write a post...sometimes even the gloom can have a silver lining...we'll just have to see what's under the lining.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan