So sad my Mum has Alzheimer’s at 82

Cherryone

Jul 16, 2020
My mum was diagnosed in January 2020 and has is been showing symptoms for 2 1/2 years I never got to the bottom of it so nobody understood what she was going through anxiety panic attacks loss of memory feeling unwell and Inability to carry out simple daily tasks. I am at standstill there’s nothing gets done so sad she insists that she doesn’t need any help So today we engaged age UK to help with some cleaning it’s gonna be a tough one I just worry about the future do you think she’d end up in a home and it’s worrying because my dad is disabled and he has trouble caring for her

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @KerryMason1, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

You may all be experiencing what is known as anticipatory grief (grieving for the life that's lost even the the person is still alive.

My experience is that Social Services will try to keep a person in their own home, with carers etc if required.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum from me too, @KerryMason1.
As Pete says, Social Services will prefer to keep your mum in their own home. That was my experience too. My partner and I live in extra care housing which gives us access to care while having our own flat and that has worked as a sort of half way house. I don't think Pete mentioned a care needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for you or your dad, but you should contact them to see what they can offer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968