So now I'm supposed to be psychic ...

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Oh dear - this started as a short post but I seem incapable of them ... sorry to you, dear reader ;);););)

I've posted a lot about my difficult mother (who ISN'T the one with dementia, she is the carer who suffered a breakdown) and she never seems to get any easier. I feel like I'm wading through treacle with her. I am gradually reducing the amount of days a week I see her - mainly for my sanity but also to try and gently push her into regaining some kind of independence (which she fights tooth and nail, and will probably never be successful)

She doesn't like the sheltered accommodation where she lives (but then, she doesn't like anything much) and I am learning that I cannot make her happy, and I'm learning to stop trying to do so as I never will. The frustrations are enormous and many.

Today's :mad: ARRRGGHHHH :mad: moment came in the shape of my now being expected to know what she is thinking!​

I took her out for lunch, as I usually do - she detests staying in the complex where she lives - she feels 'trapped' and anxious if she can't get out. I take her 'out' rather than staying in with her as otherwise she says she feels like she never goes anywhere.

She's not best pleased with me at the moment as I am, as I said, trying to wean her off me so I am never surprised when she looks a bit glum (she has what we call 'the face' - sad eyes, downturned mouth) when I have to leave her (I have a family and a job to upkeep as well!) but today I could see there was something else wrong. I refuse to ask her any more when she does 'the face' as I know it is her way of trying to force my hand and make me feel guilty/offer to see her more often ... eventually she worked her way round to what it was by first asking how my daughter was and then it came out 'I haven't been to your house for ages!' cue trembling lip ... that's IT? That's what all this performance is about? I get so CROSS having to try and guess what the problem is ... its attention seeking and it drives me nuts.

I try hard not to overreact so I just said - 'well mum, what day would you like to come round?' I think that floored her a bit as she said 'oh, erm, lets wait and see'

I think I have been a bit guilty of keeping her distant from my husband and daughter AT home, but we have all been out together quite a few times recently. The trouble is she's such hard work that everyone is exhausted afterwards. Not physically hard but mentally.

My 15 year old is pretty tolerant but when we've been out for lunch with mum (obviously her nan) its been a constant stream of negativity - we're sitting in the wrong place ... her coffee is too strong/weak/hot/cold ... they don't do Earl Grey tea ... we're having to wait too long for lunch ...

....my daughter even got it in the neck as she hadnt finished her meal 'so she wont get a dessert' :eek::eek: (none of mums business and this is NOT the way I operate anyway - I dont do food blackmail - there are enough teenagers with eating disorders already, thank you very much). My daughter had her navel pierced recently and was told she had to wear a long top so my mum couldn't see it because it made her feel sick .. on and on and on.

She is a drain on the emotions - everyone feels like they have fallen into a black hole when she's around ... its just no pleasure. I don't seem to be able to find the words to tell her this though. If she was nicer to BE AROUND I'd want her around more.

Sorry for the rant ... maybe one of the new sub-forums should have been for rants!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm not surprised you and your family are feeling so dragged down and exhausted by your mother's negativity. I think you've been very patient. I don't think I could be that patient.

I think I have been a bit guilty of keeping her distant from my husband and daughter AT home, but we have all been out together quite a few times recently. The trouble is she's such hard work that everyone is exhausted afterwards. Not physically hard but mentally.

Nonsense, that's not guilty, that is simply protecting your husband and daughter.

As for her complaining she hasn't been to your house, can you not say "Just as you like to get out of your home, I like to get out of mine. That's why we got to restaurants etc"?

Sorry, I don't have much good advice for you but lots of sympathy. :)

Robstick

May 4, 2013
you are not alone...

some of the things you say are so familiar.

We took mum to a carvery, everything was wrong, the food, the table, the other people in the room... never again!!

My only advice is to remember that decisions have to right for you, as well as your mum. Be strong...

Take care and good luck!!

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
The negatives do drain the joy out of everything don't they?

My mum hasn't been to my house for years. The last time she came for a few days stay (well before VasD ) her behaviour was so b**** awful, that on the way home from a disastrous day out my husband put diesel in our petrol car, he was that stressed. From then on, the duty visits were to her] house because we could choose to leave.

She would also be very jealous of the attention I gave the grandchildren. I was making them something to eat once when she was at ours & she said "No wonder they like coming here you spoil them" (What , with a sandwich?)

We also have "The face" , the "poor me if only you knew" the long suffering sigh & "I don't want to be a nuisance" & the " Well if I have to ask "

Apparently it's all right for me, I have a husband.

I do feel for you, it's an awful situation.

Lin x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Nonsense, that's not guilty, that is simply protecting your husband and daughter.

That is exactly it, in a nutshell. It's bad enough that I have to suffer from her ongoing negativity but I wont force it on anyone else if I dont have to.

As for her complaining she hasn't been to your house, can you not say "Just as you like to get out of your home, I like to get out of mine. That's why we got to restaurants etc"?

That's a great line, I will use it! In reality I LOVE being at home as I'm not there enough ... her presence in my house somehow 'taints' it - I sound absolutely horrible and I never thought I'd say things like this about her :( I used to think that I could never understand how people could say they hated their parents but at times I do hate her.

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Kingmidas, I feel I'm supposed to be a psychic too sometimes, though in a bit different way. If I turn on a programme and it's been started a few minutes, I'm supposed to know what it's about or where it is. When they saw what's coming up on the news, I'm meant to know what they're going to say! Aaarrghh!!! from me too.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
KingM, you do sound emotionally drained. I hope you do book that holiday (mentioned on another thread).

Do continue to protect your daughter. My youngest daughter is 14, a similar age to yours, and after a disastrous visit to my parents' house on Fathers Day, she was distraught at her nana's behaviour and I promised her that I wouldn't take her there again if her nana is there. Also if they visit us, she has my permission to 'hide' in her bedroom. I feel guilty because it means that her grandad hardly sees her, but just as he has to do what he has to do, so do I. Dad's priority is mam, but my priority is my daughter.

KingM, it has struck me - could your mum be showing signs of dementia herself, or is it just the result of her breakdown? Sorry to mention this.

Hugs x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
KingM, you do sound emotionally drained. I hope you do book that holiday (mentioned on another thread).

Do continue to protect your daughter. My youngest daughter is 14, a similar age to yours, and after a disastrous visit to my parents' house on Fathers Day, she was distraught at her nana's behaviour and I promised her that I wouldn't take her there again if her nana is there. Also if they visit us, she has my permission to 'hide' in her bedroom. I feel guilty because it means that her grandad hardly sees her, but just as he has to do what he has to do, so do I. Dad's priority is mam, but my priority is my daughter.

KingM, it has struck me - could your mum be showing signs of dementia herself, or is it just the result of her breakdown? Sorry to mention this.

Hugs x

My daughter wouldn't dare to SAY that she doesn't want to see her nan, but I can tell.

And yes, I really do think there is something more to mums mental condition than just depression. Its as though she has been permanently changed by the trauma of caring for dad and the subsequent breakdown. I do think also there is an element of dementia there but my poor tortured mind can barely stand to think of it. My dad is a very placid sufferer - unfazed by anything, mainly calm and sleepy. Mum is the opposite - anxious, tortured ... worried about every little thing ... dad I can cope with any day of the week. Mum, not so much.